Saturday, January 03, 2009

Sunny Skateskiing

Left to right, Ty, Leanne, Sonal and TJ. We went skate skiing today, which is a fun but difficult activity for me. I am pretty bad at it. It was gorgeous though and pretty much perfect.
Although I still have no technical ability, I could tell that I am stronger because I had much more control on the downhill parts. Otherwise, I'm a flailing mess. Remarkably, I fell only once, and that was while standing still.

The sky was a perfect blueberry color. Days like this are rare in the wintertime 'round these parts.


I think that skate skiing is more work than running. Much like snowshoeing. Probably in large part due to the fact that it's pretty new to me. Also because it's more of a full-body endeavor. After 2 hours of this I thought I was going to fall over in exhaustion. Hopefully this winter I can make some big improvements. I actually had someone ask me if I was new and gave me a card for lessons. :-)

5 comments:

Kate said...

Beautiful photos. Happy New Year to ya!

Allison Chapple said...

That looks spectacular!

Ronda said...

Wow, stunning. Looks like a blast and with such crisp clear conditions. Great cross training. Aren't all those super fast ultra runners cross country skiers?

Jenimal said...

OMG I am SOOO jealous... we have NO SNOW here in Chitown :cry: the skiing looks awesome!

Leslie said...

Good to know that I am not the only one out there flailing....
Actually, I have yet to go skate skiing this year! I only have 1 speed (the speed which propels me forward....) and no first, second, or third gears because of my lack of skill! As a result, I find myself MAXED out in about 5 minutes and I can only go, like an hour because I am sooooo maxed out. But I love it. And it gives me a workout like no other!! Maybe it's time to take a lesson and dust off the skis....