HOW NOT TO RUN A HALF MARATHON
Yesterday was the "Snow Joke" half marathon in Seeley Lake, Montana. This is more of a fun run, though I think it's the Montana half marathon championship, so it's not like I "race" this or am very serious about it. And, I'm not fast even at my fastest so running a hilly slippery winter race doesn't make for a fast race. BUT, I can tell you that this isn't the way to run a half marathon. I blame Sonja, who was attached to my waist.
7:11
7:18
7:42
7:59
8:12
8:53
8:57
8:45
18:59 (2 miles)
8:49
9:26
10:42 (1.1 miles)
Yeah. I was hurting on those last miles! Part of it was that we were running on snowpack and it was a little slippery, but mostly I just hurt. The bottle of wine the night before might not have helped either of course.
5 comments:
I completely forgot about Snow Joke. Funny the things you forget when injured. How did everyone else do?
Hey, Danni!
Sorry, I forgot to look for you. There were a lot of runners there!
Looking at your splits, I must have passed you at 9-10 miles. Looks like you were clicking right along those first several miles!
I tend to line up near the back of the pack, with mebbe a dozen runners behind me. My first mile was about 9:30-ish, getting sorted out. I was passing folks all the way along, which feels good, and my pace, when I noticed it, was about 8:10-8:30. Exactly 3 runners passed me back, later, with 2 of them out-kicking me in the last tenth mile. No fast twitch muscle fiber here!
My time was about 1:49:30, a minute and a half improvement over last year's time, so I'm happy with that. I always run Snow Joke as hard as I can, to see what I can do, although I don't taper for it. I ran the FA50K course, solo, just-for-the-insane-joy-of-it, on President's Day (and 30+ minutes faster than on FA50 'race' day).
Are you still on track for Western States? We've started doing long-ish club runs once a month. We have a 22 miler scheduled for March 14, in the Elkhorn foothills (no trails yet -- next month). Come on over!
And Don't Fence Me In is 5/9. The 30K would be a pretty good WS training jaunt.
Hi Martin! That 22 miler sounds great but I'll be out of state. I will try to make it to the Fence Me In run. I am bummed that I missed you Saturday. I saw another Helena guy but I can't remember his name.
Nice work on the improvement over last year! I finished in 1:52:59 according to the official results.
Oh, Iris, everyone else did well. I think Leanne PRed!
Thanks for the shout out, Danni. I forgot that I had my garmin set to auto pause, so that's why it said 1:52. Water breaks with Wally and checking in on Sonal (she was in pain) totaled to about 1 minute 53 seconds. My previous Snow Joke was around the same time as this year -1:54, so no PR for me. That's ok though. I had a blast and managed to keep an 8:37 average pace so no complaints here.
Post a Comment