Tuesday, April 21, 2009

DIABLO 50 -- Race Report
aptly named race!


On Sunday I ran the Diablo 50 which is held on/near/around Mt. Diablo near Clayton, CA (which is somewhere between Oakland and Sacramento). I chose this race due to the timing – far enough in advance of Western States to give me time to fix whatever weaknesses would be highlighted – and due to the fact that it’s a PCTR event – which meant I would get to see RD Sarah Spelt, who is one of those most wonderful people I’ve ever met ever. Some people just radiate enthusiasm, positivity and kindness in a way that sets them above and apart from the rest of us. Sarah is one of those people. Can’t say enough good about Sarah. I also got to visit my friend Chris O’Connor and his family, who are collectively a great group of folks. And, I got to see many other fabulous folks whom it is a rare pleasure to see. As you might be noticing, I was viewing this weekend in California as a vacation and hug-fest more than a race.


(left to right = Chris, Sarah, Keith, Me)


(Chris and green and blue!)


(wild poppies)

(the race start -- Chris pointing out the line of ant-people in the distance)

I knew in my mind that this was a tough course, and that it was going to be a scorcher, but somehow this never concerned me. It probably should have because with more than 13,000 feet of total elevation gain and highs around 90 degrees, that was one tough race! In case you’ve already read enough, I did finish in 15:40. In typical form, I was a back-of-packer. Though I was not DFL, I believe I was the last finisher under 16 hours. That’s my style yo. (That’s my story and I’m sticking to it).

(rock city)

A brief description of the race, as best as I can recall: the first 10 miles is a long hard uphill. Up and up and up. This took several hours. No joke. There is lots of beautiful though exposed green hillside with bright wildflowers and some lush green pastures with cows who did not attack me. There is a trip through “Rock City” which features some uber cool rock formations, and a long meander through shady woods, another long climb and an 8 mile downhill featuring some scary loose scree on hairpin turns on what I’m sure were treacherous cliffs (it was dark by that point so I couldn’t see what lay ahead if I slid off the trail. . . I could only assume it was sure death awaiting me).

(cows being friendly)

(heaven after being assaulted by the sun!)
I ran the first 16 or so miles with Keith (Leslie’s husband) and Chris. Chris and I ran the first 25 miles together and some of the remaining miles. He never got too far ahead and during the above scary rocky bits I could see his headlamp looking back to make sure I did not plummet to my death. I think that’s very nice. I ran into a lot of other people on the trail whom I’ve been fortunate enough to meet through running and made some new friends. It’s pretty much a big moving party – the aid stations are stocked with my favorite snacks including cookies, peanut M&Ms and potato chips (Pringles even!). This party though left me with the most wicked hangover ever. [funny – after I wrote this Leslie emailed me to say she feels like she went on a three day bender complete with bar brawl! It’s not just me!] Yesterday I felt pretty good but today I am barely able to walk. I am so beat up! Unfortunately, I did not tape my feet and I wore shoes that were too small (oops, I inadvertently bought the wrong size and didn’t know until during the race since that was the first time I wore them) and wore socks that had not been tested on a long run. Well, they’ve been tested now and while I adore them for shorter runs they will not be my sock of choice in future ultras. Similarly, the shoes will be fine for shorter runs but cannot be worn for Western States. By the way, I wear Mizuno trail shoes but think my heftier Montrail Hardrocks might be better for steep rocky trail – I may wear them for the first half of WS and switch to Mizunos at Foresthill and may even switch to road shoes after the river crossing. I’d be curious to hear what people think about the shoe situation.

(Leslie who ran fast!)

I will say that my Patagonia Wool 1 shirt, which I wore for the first time ever during the race (lots of testing!), was absolutely amazing. The fabric feels like a thin old t-shirt that is just about to fall apart and is a mix of wool and synthetic. It was lighter and cooler than any shirt I’ve ever worn and didn’t give me any problems. Though it got soaked with sweat, it never felt gross on my skin. LOVE the shirt. Huge props to Patagonia, except for the price tag. But what else would you expect for Patagucci.

I also loved my Mountain Hardwear shorts. I don’t remember what they’re called, but they have a stretchy yoga-pant waist and are a really light fabric. After my hydration pack leaked all over my butt I had some concerns but the shorts dried very quickly and remained comfortable throughout the race. The only complaint I have is that they did not magically hide the sausage-look my legs have been sporting lately. But shorts can only be asked to do so much.

I had a great time at Diablo though it kicked me squarely in the butt. I still need some work on my downhill running technique, need to work on my blister issues and need to do some more speedwork to get my speed up. I am really quite slow. It concerns me. I am envisioning myself fighting cut-offs at WS despite feeling pretty decent – and this scares me into wanting to get faster. Might not hurt to drop some fat though this late in the game I don’t know if that would be the most productive endeavor. I should at least try to shed a few pounds though. I keep saying that. . .



There is no question that Crossfit has helped me a lot, especially in terms of core strength which is odd since we don’t do all that much core-specific training. My back never hurt the way it used to during long runs and my muscles (though screaming today) felt pretty good during the race. Could have been the Advil though. Anyhow, if I did Crossfit AND dialed in my nutrition and ran more, I bet I could work my way up to “mid-packer.” But unless and until I do all those things I will be happy (and I am happy) with finishing and having a blast while participating.



23 comments:

Leslie said...

You looked fabulous darrrling! Every time I saw you, you looked strong and happy. That was a really tough race. Looking forward to WS and seeing you again.

Leslie

Iris said...

Sounds like a tough course. Which shoes did you use? The Mizunos?

Danni said...

Likewise Leslie!!!

Iris, I was wearing the Mizunos. I bought a new pair at Sacramento Fleet Feet since I was worried my older ones still had sand in them from Zion. But I got a half size too small.

Leslie's Keith said...

As usual Danni...your wit and banter made my morning! What a great way to start the race...and come on up for some training anytime you need a distance partner!

Love,

Keith

Jenn said...

Well done Danni!!! Great race and great report. I don't know how y'all do it. I like the clothing reviews too :D I need to find one of those t-shirts so I can be just like you!!! Only in GA, and about half the distance :D

Danni said...

Yes Jenn you will love the shirt.

Leslie I forgot to ask how your ankle is feeling???

Danni said...

Oh and Keith that was a blast! I hope to pop up to Canadia soon!

(I seem to be padding my comments with comments from me!)

Allison Chapple said...

Amazing!!!

Leanne said...

What a run, Danni! Love the photos...so gorgeous! I'm super-duper proud of you and your accomplishment! WS here you come!!!

Paul Charteris said...

Great stuff Danni,

Yours is certainly one of those smiling faces I really look forward to seeing out on the trails (even as few times as I have seen you out there).

Make NO mistake about it, finishing Diablo is a huge accomplishment, it is one very very tough 50-miler. I admire your tenacity to even attempt that downhill in the dark. Several times through the night, I kept on saying "I hope Danni's OK out there" knowing that you would be descending that crazy stupid technical **** with a headlamp. Well done!

Cheers, Paul
P.S. My legs have been so sore it has even prevented me from writing a race report - honest. I have been in pure agony.

Anonymous said...

For all its difficulty, it's a wonderful race and I'm so glad you were there. Congrats on finishing a doozy. I think it shows you'll do just fine at WS.

-Chris

Danni said...

Thanks so much everyone! And Paul, I can understand being too sore and tired to write a report. That race left me more beat up than Headlands 100 somehow.

What's funny is that I thought I was really fast going down that technical part. I must have been averaging 2 mph!

Ronda said...

Great job Danni, tough course and and hot too! Congrats...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Danni, for coming out here to run, for the hugs and conversation on Sunday, and for your kind comments here. Yours was one of the faces I looked most forward to seeing on Sunday - and I'm already looking toward the end of June, when I get to see you again.

Congrats on finishing that one - a very tough course on a good day, and Sunday was far from 'good', weather-wise. You should be very proud.

Take good care, and feel confident about WS - you're ready to go, my friend.

See you there!

Leslie said...

I was thinking of you in the dark and sending the good vibes your way. There's no doubt about it - this is one ridiculously hard race. It's a good thing it's sooooo pretty! Way to get er' done!

Anonymous said...

Danni,

Hey studnotmuffintop (That's my new saying, btw, feel free to steal it ;), congrats on a well fought race. I hear that one's a doozie and you proved your tuffness.

I think I'll be seeing you for a couple of nights up at the WS camp. Get ready for some good times!

Congrats again, and recover smiling!
Meghan

Danni said...

Thanks Ronda! Hmm. Maybe WS camp would be good training for Hardrock?

Sarah, looking forward to June and wonder if you might enjoy camp?

Leslie and Meghan camp is going to be so fun. Meghan I'm so glad you're coming!!! WOOHOO!!!

I am pro-CAMP!

Donald said...

Congrats on making it through that one! It was quite a tough day for everybody. Thanks for the great report.

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Hi Danni. Congrats on a great race on a tough day! We must have passed each other on the stretch to Finley Road at least, or you might have passed me on the original ascent. Sorry I didn't recognize you and say hi. I missed the 2nd cutoff at Rock City, and was annoyed because I was just starting to feel better again as it cooled, and I knew the trail down and could have made it (though probably after you!). Still 37 miles and those hills on such a hot day is alot for me and enough for a training run for Miwok. I just hope it's not hot for that one too!

Good luck preparing for WS. Hope to run into you again some time.

Cynthia

Danni said...

Cynthia, Chris and I were VERY surprised to pull in and learn that we were only 10 minutes from the cutoff! I was pretty unaware and consider myself lucky to have escaped the wrath of the cutoff. I must have been very close by!

Olga said...

Danni, way to boost confidence for WS! I heard a bunch of Diablo, and need to test it out, and Sarah - hell, yeah, that's a shout out for sure! Good job, as for shorts - hey, when you find those with hiding properties, let me know, I may overlook the price tag:)

Rick Gaston said...

Funny how many of us who did the race complained of feeling pretty wrecked afterwards. The two "H's", heat and hills did it for me. Like you said a party and a hugfest. This past weekend I volunteered for their Skyline to the Sea 50k race just to get more PCTR love and to support a friend running her first 50k. Congratulations on finishing such a tough course. Awesome training for WS!

Dan said...

Danni, sounds like a beast of a race! Nice report though. Just curious what type of socks you wear? My blister problems went away when I went to Injinji socks and a generous dose of foot powder. I hear drymax work well but haven't tested them yet.