| photo courtesy of Jean Pommier |
My iPod started fizzling out. That was it. If my iPod died I was for sure dropping. That was the last straw. By mile 17 or so I'd had it. But then my iPod worked and I finally hit some shady single track. And I saw Cheryl, who provided me with my super cute plaid running shorts which were acquired on a particularly bad day last week. She flew in from Chicago to run the marathon and hang out. It's hard to be cranky around Cheryl. She just won't really let you be cranky. That's one of the reasons I love her so.
The ultimate cheerer-upper was seeing Beat sitting on the side of the trail with his laptop open trying to work. He was on-call and had been paged. Seeing such an absurd sight was enough to make me smile and move on. And when I told him about how much I hated everything he made me feel really guilty and bad -- misanthropes don't feel guilty and bad. The exorcism had begun.
Sigh. I actually though it was all really pretty. Even here in beautiful NW Montana you don't see the ocean and the Golden Gate bridge. Beat started talking about how wonderful life is. I felt all warm and happy inside. I felt the goodness of life. The power of sunshine and endorphins compels you.
I realized I was almost half way done. It wasn't so bad. I was enjoying myself. I hadn't fallen too far behind. My friend Jenn was running her first 50 and flew all the way from Georgia to be there. I could be bothered to finish afterall. I finished with Jenn and our friend Chris who was pacing Jenn. The misanthrope was gone and I was downright cheery.
![]() |
| Jenn and Danni |
![]() |
| Cheryl, Danni and Jenn |


13 comments:
You crack me up! Are those lulu shorts I see? I think so! I wonder why CA is so hot too! You should come to OR to run. Then you can wonder why is it so green...oh because it's so wet. ;)
Yes of course they are lulu! :-) I was also cheered-up by my shorts all day.
Danni, I seriously love you. "It's fun to drink beer but running is hot and stupid but oh what the hell I'll just go and crank out 50 miles anyway."
I wish I had the power to be motivated by shorts. Photographic opportunities, maybe, but shorts?
Congrats on finishing. Looking forward to seeing you again in two weeks! I think I will be an exorcist for Halloween. Someone has to compete with Keith's Mounty for your love.
It was a HOT weekend. You are one tough lady to do 50. It must have been the shorts. :)
Absolutely hilarious. I'll try and think of it this weekend, when moving at snail's pace after 10 days of flu and little sleep. May be I should get me a pair of fun shorts? Only now I have no time. But I am sure my friend will drill me about life is beautiful and to shut up and run. I only don't desire beer:)
Good one!
Love the endorphins and sunshine as it always gets me out of a funk.
Those shorts are adorable!
Jill that would be a genius costume. You don't need motivation you're a machine!
Ewa I'm glad you thought it was hot too. Everyone made fun of me for saying so.
Olga it sounds like you need to rest!!! And you look cute always, plaid shorts or not.
Thanks Kim! Amazing how that works, eh?
Yahoooooooooo! Great work, Danni, exiting the world of misanthropy :) It's great to have you back! DC Firetrails is on my list of 50s to do once, and the fact that you mention there is a keg involved makes me even more motivated to move it up my list :)
Danni, okay, I'm glad your day turned out. What a turnaround you and your spirit experienced out there. The shorts ARE cute!
Congrats on finishing, and more importantly, battling your inner demons. Or whatever. You're too sweet to have inner demons.
Nice to spend some time with you and Cheryl pre-race!
Hey, great job! I thought it was hot too (The high last year was in the 60's while this year it was in the 80's) Bummer indeed. I struggled to make the Skyline Gate cutoff and they even tried to make me quit but I kept going anyway. :)
There was beer? I missed it (being a slowpoke). If I had known there was beer, I might have been tempted to quit too...
Cynthia
Paige I suggest you come run Le Grizz ;) FT was great though.
Meghan I can't thank you enough for driving in to visit with us. It was such a huge pleasure to see you. I am totally driving to Utah to visit you once you've settled in. I can't wait in fact.
Cynthia I looked for you but realized I'm not even sure what you look like. I planned to chat with you if I could! I should have planned better and found out what you would be wearing.
Very candid shots..
Congrats on the run..
Well done.
Post a Comment