Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I'm like, so totally excited now. Yes, for Susitna.

This weekend I went to Utah and hung out with Meghan Hicks and a couple of her friends in the Uintas of Utah.  Meghan lives in Park City, which is a fun little ski town, and put together this adventure that was too good to pass up.  Indeed, we had a wonderful time playing in the snow and I even turned off my cell phone for more than 24 whole hours (to make up for the time spent at Deer Valley on Friday where I was glued to my stupid smart phone, returning emails and phone calls and generally fitting every bad stereotype of lawyers). 


I had the opportunity to practice running with a sled.  My friend Andrew loaned me his sled, which was pretty awesome because he has logged probably 1,000 trail miles on this sled.  He has won the Susitna and won the Yukon Arctic Ultra and done all manner of arctic nonsense.  He gave me some advice too.  I feel really lucky to know so many people (three!) with experience doing these oddities.  

Up until this weekend I was looking forward to Susitna but never thinking it would be enjoyable.  After spending a weekend in terrain that, though at 8,500 feet or so, resembles my fantasy of Alaska I am downright stoked for Susitna.  There's something exhilirating about open snowy expansive terrain.  Of course, we had great weather this weekend and I expect that's a critical factor in the "fun" thing.

Pictured above was our weekend home -- the Colton Guard Station.  For a USFS cabin it was pretty luxurious with a wood stove and an actual propane powered stove, like a real kitchen one, and it was really clean and lovely.  I am motivated to do more of these weekend trips and would like to try renting a nearby cabin before winter is over.  Perhaps the dogs can pull the sled.


One of the things that struck me about the weekend as well is how lucky I am to know such cool people like Meghan.  She, like Jill (one of the three!), is someone I met through Keith and Leslie who I basically met through blogging.  These are all people whose paths I would likely cross anyhow given our common interests and often similar race schedules, but it's pretty neat (and efficient) that one can make such awesome friends in such a strange way.  Anyhow, Meghan is a uniquely cool chica and little does she know that I spent my morning run planning our Himalayan vacation for 2012 or 2013.

13 comments:

Ewa said...

Envious of your adventures.
I love reading Meghan's blog.
That little house all surrounded by fluffy snow makes me want to weep. We are in Tahoe right now and desperately need new snow. The base is deep but the top melts and freezes overnight. Not fun for skiing.

Danni said...

Crust is yucky. We have been having rain here in NW MT and it's pretty awful conditions.

Karen said...

I noticed that connection with bloggers, too.

I found Jill's blog through my husband's coworkers that organized and raced the White Mountains 100. Then I found SLG on a random search of running, and found yours through her. I thought it was really cool to see that two of the blogs that I found, through different paths, found each other. I really enjoy comparing the accounts you and Jill give on the same trip.

Such a small world we live in. :)

Meghan said...

Danni,

You are one of the raddest girls I know and it was a true joy to spend the weekend with you.

I'm sad that it's 9 hours from your house to mine. However, I'm happy to know that between you and I are probably millions of acres of beautiful places to play.

I cannot wait to hear about my Himalayan vacation.

Love,
Meghan

PS. Thanks for the compliment, Ewa!

Olga said...

You are totally crazy to be totally excited, but oh, well...:)) And speakign of blogs, not only can one find good friends, but also husbands!

Paige said...

Yay!!! It's going to be a grand adventure and I'm looking forward to reading about it :)

I think I found your blog via the old CHUG website (you were an at-large member, no?), and then stumbled upon Leslie's blog through your blog, then Meghan's blog via iRunFar (I think), and THEN I started putting it all together and I was thinking you gals were all old pals from waaaaaay back when. But in reality, it's all thanks to the virtual world! Heh.

So funny, our little blog world :)

Good luck!!!

Kate said...

this all sounds crazy-ish, which means you're going to do awesome and love it.

your pictures just always make me love your life. : )

green with a little envy here in Chicago.

HappyTrails said...

Looks like a lot of (cold) fun! Park City is an awesome area, though we've not been there in the snow - we're not totally huge snowsport folks like you are!!! Good luck getting ready for the race - pulling that sled looks like some serious work!!!

Mary said...

And I just found your blog through Jill's, which I found from a friend in Anchorage who also ultraraces. Now I'm gonna follow!

ps. I work for the Forest Service. Those rental cabins are the coolest. Although the program is a money loser. (Costs a lot to keep those places up).

Danni said...

Thanks for commenting Mary! Interesting about the USFS cabins.

Karen -- White Mountains sounds a bit hard core for me. Colder! I still have my lines in the sand.

Paige -- I used to live in Chicago so I am an "at large" CHUG though I moved before it was even started.

Kathleen -- I can't believe you live in CO and aren't into snow sports!

Olga, I'm so glad you found your man through blogging. You learn a lot about people when they share on a blog. Unless it's mine where I write like a kindergartener.

Kate, you should come visit :-)

Meghan, 9 hours is nothing by MT standards you know -- I'll be back soon!

Leslie's Keith said...

Let's see....

Danni
Meghan
Jill
Beat
Deb
Derek
Bryon
.
.
.
So many great friends we've now met and enjoyed through Blogs. Can't wait to see you all again..!

Love,

Keith and Leslie

Running Rebecca said...

Danni,
You so kick ass. Love the photos. You will do this crazy thing because you have a will of steel! Love ya'!

Leslie said...

I'm stoked for you as well. Wish I could have been a part of the Uitnas Adventure, but there will be other adventures!