I bought BT from my friends Brenda and Dave in Banff. It was Brenda's bike (Brenda's Toy, aka BT), and it was single speed, but now it's a regular hard tail mountain bike and it's mine. (Jamis Exile). I had my first mountain bike ride since around 1993 on Sunday when I met up with Dave in Fairmont Hot Springs, BC. Much to my surprise, my Banff friends Keith and Leslie were also there, which was a huge treat. We went on a mountain bike ride and it was so incredibly awesome. I didn't have my camera sadly. The above picture is from my ride in Herron Park tonight. My friend Matt came up with a new Herron Hustle course and so I checked it out (I am afterall the race director so I should at least see what the course is :p) and it was awesome. BUT... some observations about mountain biking (from an absolute newbie):
1) It's really really hard. Running is physically so much easier. Going up hills is hard. Maybe I just need to develop some new muscles or figure out how to work the gears? I think it's just hard work.
2) Going downhill is really hard if you're not an adrenaline junkie - which I am not. I hope I don't wear out my brakes too fast. Good thing I bought a used bike relatively inexpensively. I'd be scared if I had a fancy new bike (which I was originally thinking I should definitely purchase).
3) You can't space out like you can running. Mountain biking requires your full attention. It's mentally challenging. You have to look ahead and not look away. Maybe with practice one can do more gazing off in the distance, but I certainly must pay attention. That's hard for me. I'm possibly ADDish.
![]() |
| Herron Park has so much new single track -- it is so very awesome |
Anyhow, I'm pretty excited about my new toy. And I will soon go to the vet to get another x-ray of my toe to see if it's healed. I tried running on the dreadmill this morning and it hurt so I stopped. I think outside running might be better. Dunno.
In conclusion, I should inform you that Ted just asked me: "HOW COULD I HAVE MARRIED YOU WHEN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN? HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT?"
Have you seen Attack of the 50 Foot Woman?


15 comments:
I have seen the 50 foot woman and she is us.
This is funny: "And I will soon go to the vet to get another x-ray of my toe to see if it's healed." Is it true?
This post brought joy to my heart. I think you'll love mountain biking as a supplement to your running. Once the higher country is clear, you should really take it out on some long logging road rides. They're not technical; the climbs are awesome and the descents are pure fun. You can space out to your heart's content and you will be amazed how much ground you can cover. Logging roads are what made me fall instantly in love with Missoula last summer. The singletrack trails were just "meh" in my opinion (ha ... hope none of my Missoula friends see this comment.) But seriously, really long bike rides on dirt roads through the mountains are awesome — the perfect way to spend a day for endorphin-not-adrenaline junkies like me and you. :)
Also, I have not seen the 50 Foot Woman. I haven't seen Single White Female either.
Hi Danni -
We need to catch up! A couple of thoughts, though, on your lovely post:
1. Mmmm. Gear + new sport. Yummy.
2. Not sure about your health care plan there in MT where "the vet," is involved in human primary care. ;)
3. Speaking of gear, we just purchased a used kayak/sail rig thingy. We must discuss new gear. :)
4. Before I forget to tell you, have you seen Sarah Fragoso's new book? I think you will like it. :) I am obsessed!
Talk soon? Hope you are healing & doing well!
I am a newbie mountain biker and I want to know the same thing! I THOUGHT I had strong legs until I tried biking up big hills. How do you do it? I granny it but I know there must be something I'm not doing right.
Hee hee I also relate it to running speed!
Your description of riding a mtn bike is exactly how I feel about it...especially the downs and the use of brakes :) Maybe I just need more practice at doing it and i wouldn't be so nervous on a bike? I hope your toe is better soon! Oh and i haven't seen the 50 foot woman either...
Do you really go to the vet for your xrays?
The bike probably just takes some getting used to. You'll love it soon enough :)
I look forward to the same challenge soon; I'll be getting a (hardtail) bike for the exact same reason: staying off my foot for a while. Or at least mixing it up while it's getting better...
From running trails I do know that once we get to the point when we can keep up with/pass trail runners on decent uphills we'll be doing pretty well!
Whatever you listed just confirmed I will never buy a mountain bike. that, and the price tag:)
Now have I heard of whatever your DH accused you in. What the heck is it?
Completely freaking cool. Let's ride! Love the name as well. Now to get Dave out of the damn creeks.
What is "Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman"? Seriously, must have missed that one. Is that bad? Please enlighten us.
Mtn biking does sound fun, but go with Jill's advice and maybe stick to wide trails or roads. I'd have the same problem with terror of riding off a cliff.
Funny about the vet xraying your toe. I completely missed that at first. Hope it's better soon.:)
And what is an SI sprain? I've had some funky business going on with my back and wondered if the SI joint had something to do with that.
Cynthia
Jill I look forward to riding logging roads. Maybe I will go for an evening ride in fact.
I did get an XRay from my friend/vet. Toe is still broken. Usually I go to a person doc though. This was quick and easy.
Cynthia my SI Joint sprain was pretty debilitating. It was an overuse injury not acute (if that makes sense). But google exercises for SI joint injury (core strengthening basically) and it might help.
Bill, that's funny. I will try. For awhile I think I'm best off riding alone since I'm embarassingly slow.
Mountain biking makes mountain running seem like cake IMO. However, it is a blast when you get better and you are right, adrenaline junkie is almost a pre-requisite to being good. I am not one and am most certainly a big baby. Have fun and stay upright!
Post a Comment