Monday, July 18, 2011

The Devil's Backbone -- 2011

 I returned to Bozeman/Big Sky for the Devil's Backbone, a laid back and small 50 miler that features some of the most stunning scenery in the world.  Last year I initially planned to run the entire 50 but dropped to the 25 mile distance.  I vowed I'd return this year fit and awesomely ready for the full distance.  I managed to show up even more out-of-shape than last year.  The combination of time off due to my stupid toe and my related weight gain make for a bad combo.  Nonetheless it was all kinds of awesome.
 It took me 7:30 to cover approximately 22-24 miles... I overslept and showed up late to the start, which did nothing to move me along at a remotely respectable pace.  It was actually both relaxing and demoralizing to start the race late.  I managed to catch someone after a couple hours (maybe not that long?) but then she dropped.  After that I just fell further behind and thought it rude to set out for the second half when I'd shown up late AND undertrained.  I could have done the distance but would have been out there quite awhile.  Better to stop while "ahead" so to speak...
I also had a wonderful time in Bozeman.  I stayed with Nikki Kimball, who is a superstar ultrarunner and also one of the coolest chicks ever.  It was fun hanging out and getting to know her a little better.

I'm absolutely convinced that I live in the most beautiful place in the world.  Sure, there are no Ethiopian restaurants, even in Bozeman or Missoula, but Montana is tough to beat. 

On a different and sort of sad note, my puppy Zeke (who is 11-12 or so now...) is having health issues of some kind (possibly Addison's disease) so please send good healing positive vibes out for my buddy.  It's only sort of sad because it sounds like he can probably be treated.  But it's hard not to worry.

our favorite boy Zeke

7 comments:

Iris said...

Hope Zeke feels better.

Karen said...

Your photos really are beautiful! I'm hoping to check out Montana for myself one day.

Hope Zeke is better soon!

Olga said...

You stayed with Nikki Kimball. Just like making it through a second half:) Beautiful, indeed!
Olga

Kate said...

oh, he's beautiful. thinking healing thoughts for him.

montana also looks great - gotta make it there someday.

nice work on the race. Just remember how much of the world would aspire to be as "out of shape" as you think you are. ; )

Joanna said...

oh poor Zeke. I hope he feels better... I didn't realize he was that old.

Ronda said...

Also hope Zeke feels better.

Those views are incredible.

HappyTrails said...

Stunning country - you do live in a great place.

Sending out our best for Zeke!!