Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I ran a marathon (the Missoula Marathon)

Since road races are all about stats and splits and such (from my little timing printout):


Time = 4:00:43.2

1st Half = 1:59:06.1

2nd Half = 2:01:37.1

AG Position (35-39) = 25 of 101

Gender Position (F) = 112 of 559

Overall = 382 of 1176

The Missoula Marathon is an excellent little marathon. Runners World magazine deemed it the best marathon in America a few years back I think. It's fairly small still but well organized and logistically uncomplicated. You are bussed to the start in Frenchtown and run back into downtown Missoula. It could be a PR course depending on the person -- there is one somewhat significant hill (for a road marathon) and has 200 feet of net gain (and Missoula is at 3200 feet, which could be enough to mildly impair someone's performance if they live at sea level). There is coffee at the race start and excellent food/drink at the finish (watermelon popsicles and free beer!). Admittedly, I do enjoy road running in addition to trail running, which makes me somewhat unusual among my trail running friends.

This was just a "for fun" race for me. I did San Juan 50 two weeks ago, pulled a hamstring last weekend trying to water ski and neither recovered nor tapered. I was slothful in the last couple of weeks but did 6 hours of ski touring Wednesday (though not at high intensity or anything) and went into the race not sure if I might have to drop out at my friends Kevin and Katie's aid station at mile 11ish with hamstring troubles. I had beer and wine the day/night before. After all, it was a mini-vacation/girls' weekend.
me and Allison, photo courtesy of Allison

I chose to take a lot of Advil during the race rather than drop out -- my hamstring started bothering me at mile 4. I knew this was stupid but sometimes I can't help myself. (My hamstring feels fine now though my lower back feels bruised, hopefully it's not my kidneys, ha ha ha). I had part of a Mimosa (which was totally delicious actually, yay Kevin!) at my friends' aid station and nearly achieved my arbitrary goal of a sub-4 hour finish. I think that if I had skipped the Mimosa I might have finished 44 seconds faster. Of course, if I had run slightly faster I could have achieved it as well... Ultimately, it's a big "who cares" though I'd rather have the "3" than the "4" in my finish time.

I am pleased with my nearly even splits and my finish time considering the heat, my lack of preparation and the fact that I was bloated and un-svelte on race day (to the tune of at least 5-7 pounds above my normal weight this month). I have previously mentioned my desire to do focused marathon training and try to run a PR/sub 3:30 marathon. So, this has me wondering how much work it would take to shave off 30 minutes by December (I think I'd consider CIM). I think if I really focused on the track, pace runs, tempo runs and all that stuff and took good care of myself I'd have a (slim) chance. That said, this was a reminder of how stressful marathons can be. I mean, having to constantly worry about every stupid split and having to keep running the WHOLE TIME! without getting to lollygag, walk, pig out at candy buffet tables and such is sort of less fun than ultras (or my approach to them anyhow). I'm just not sure if I can really rally to do the whole marathon training thing again. Ever. At the same time, it's sort of nice to do races where I can easily finish respectably instead of last, if at all, as in trail ultras (hmmm maybe if I took the same mental approach as I do in marathons I wouldn't be last?).

As of right now I am not signed up for anything at all for the rest of the year and am not sure what I want to do next, if anything, in terms of running. At present I am totally unmotivated to register for anything, therefore I am going to just be like a normal person and hike and enjoy the summer without an eye towards training for anything. (To the extent that I ever really train, ha). I wish I felt the desire to focus on something but nothing interests me right now. Undoubtedly something will catch my eye.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet splits. There's little doubt that if you decided to run a 3:30, you would just do it. (plus all the stuff required to make it happen)

Just depends on what you feel like doing...

Isn't that an awesome feeling? :)

Jill Homer said...

Beat will berate me for saying this (friends don't let friends run on roads), but maybe you should aim for a fast marathon. Four hours off the couch (well, not really, but without specific training) is pretty awesome. This is clearly something you're good at, and maybe the training will spark new passion. After your summer of fun adventures, marathon training may be a good way to keep the passion alive during the more difficult fall and early winter months.

I like the idea of taking a known challenge and really applying myself to it. I'd kind of like to try for 5:30 at a Bay Area 50K (Crystal Springs is a good one for me.) Or what about the Susitna 100? Actually conduct more focused training, ignore (in and out) all the aid stations, and really push myself knowing it could fail so spectacularly that I have to crawl home from Luce's 2, but maybe I log a really solid time. Sub 30? It's possible! I think about these things, too. ;-)

Karen said...

Nice job! I'm one of those people that likes roads and trails too. Please please please come try and break 3:30 at CIM with me. :) I've got even more time between my most recent marathon (4:05) than you do, but I know we're both capable of something real near the 3:30 if we work hard at it.

Taking a road marathon easy (or being forced to like I was at GB this spring) really puts a lot more enjoyment into it. But the enjoyment of a PR is pretty cool.

At least consider CIM, would ya? ;) I'm also planning on a repeat 50K at Little Su and flying in and out of Fairbanks instead, I'm starting to miss that quirky little place. :)

Olga said...

Oh, my God. This is not happening:) First of, that is an awesome time without specific training, and like you, I had one of those even-splitted 4 hr off-the-couch back in February. So, that's why you nagged me for 3:30...well, you had always had some seriously good marathon times from what I recall. So, I might lag behind, but may be we should both support each other? And no, you're not weird, I know of plenty trail runners who likes/enjoys/etc. road running as well in a mix (Devon, Meghan, anyone?). So, running is running, some for satisfaction, some for pure ecstatic feel. It's nice to mix. Lets mix. Personally, I plan to not do a single long run until September, and no longish road runs till October (my goal is in November). So, we can still wander around trails and mountain and do some crazy-ass intervals during a week. Common, you know you want to help me!
Congrats. Really. Impressive.

Linda W. said...

Wow, great job! Especially considering everything you had going on you still ran a 4 hour full marathon. I've yet to get myself under 4:30 (and that's with training). Savor your accomplishment!

Mary said...

Yeah..I'm with you about marathon training and having to be serious about splits (Shudder). I'm done with that. But whatever you decide you will rock it! Awesome job.

Danni said...

Thanks Ti. It is an awesome feeling though I know it would be a lot of work!

Yeah Jill I'm thinking about it. I'm also thinking about something like Javelina and trying to run under 24 hours (which would require similar training but with less precision).

Karen I'll let you know if I sign up for CIM. You are doing better with the whole training thing.

Olga, I will definitely coordinate with you if I take this on. We can be virtual workout partners.

Thanks Linda!!!

Mary, I do sometimes enjoy that mode of training. But it is fleeting...