Sunday, November 16, 2025

2025 Silk Road Mountain Race

This morning I awoke to the good news that my application to the Highland Trail 550 bikepacking race in Scotland has been accepted.  I realized that I haven't updated this blog to discuss my 2025 Silk Road Mountain Race.  

I wrote an essay that the Idaho Women's Bikepacking Group published on Substack.  I'd republish it here but my perspective on the race has changed a little since soon after the race ended.  I'm feeling much more positive now, whereas I was very disappointed that I did not finish the race - again.  In sum, I rode 940 or so miles of the route and ended my race on day 14 which was somehow only 80% of the course (assuming my math is correct).  


I struggled with what may have been the onset of Shermer's Neck (my neck was burning when I'd try to ride downhill and I couldn't hold a riding position for more than a minute before I'd need to stop and release the stress and stretch).  I think my electrolytes were pretty off as well or something which resulted in me feeling like I was on day 3 or 4 of a 24/7 booze bender stumbling down the Las Vegas strip.  Please note that I've never actually done that (maybe I should), but it's how I imagine I would feel if I did that.  In any event, I was very super disappointed at the time that I didn't finish the race.  


Once I recovered physically and mentally, from both the race and the jetlag that hit me hard, I started to feel good about my effort and the outcome.  Sitting here this morning, I still don't regret missing the last 20% of the course.  I saw a lot and covered a lot of terrain.  I still don't feel like continuing was a reasonable option and I didn't have the time necessary to get a good recovery rest I would have needed to have any hope of finishing the course before my flight home. 


The race was beautiful and I'm proud of all my smart decisions during the race, such as stopping when I was falling asleep on the bike, going further when I felt good, and eating pretty consistently.  Of course, my 50 year old body, never that athletic to begin with, has its limits and I am at peace with that.  I did my best and was lucky enough to enjoy two weeks of riding my bike through one of the most beautiful countries on Earth.  


One of the best things about these races is meeting fantastic people.  I made new friends this year and always enjoy meeting other like-minded folks.


I am fortunate to be able to pursue this hobby and combine ultra endurance turtling with world travel and have a family that is supportive.  I'm excited to head to Scotland in May to tackle another beautiful and challenging race.  This time at lower elevation, shorter distance, and less travel.  Hopefully the whisky trail angels will be there to hand out whisky.  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to have you come and stay before and after HT550

Ozarkrunner said...

A whiskey trail angel is a nice idea, but possibly a detriment to performance.