oh, it's the pain
It's ingrained in me
The above lyrics from "Sea Song" by the Doves, have almost nothing to do with this post, except that if you love Goth-y doomy and gloomy music like I do, that song is most excellent. It came on my iPod at the end of my run and made me so incredibly happy.
So (drum roll. . . ) I went to the gym last night. It was the first time I have been to the gym in over a year. I hate the gym but I feel proud. I did legs, back, abs, shoulders and a lot of standing around like a deer caught in headlights. I was unable to remember how some of the machines work -- which was really sad since at one time I was a good devoted weight lifter. Then I decided machines are dumb and I should use free weights anyhow. And then I was thinking: I could buy some weights at Target and save $$$ by cancelling this wasted membership. Then I was thinking: they have a sauna now so I can use that rather than hot yoga and that will cover the membership. Hmmm. Somehow this resulted in the decision that I will keep the membership and go twice a week. Hold me to this! Olga already said I need to do squats (he he he he I said squat) so there you go.
BUT, does anyone else hate all the mirrors at the gym? It's as if they're trying to remind you constantly of just how much you need to be there. Of course, mirrors help when lifting -- there's no question about it. But it's one of the things that just makes me hate the gym. Meh. It's not like I hate seeing myself in the mirror, but in the giant wall sized inescapable gym mirror it's just. . . a bit much. . .
P.S. Wow this was awfully whiny. I will call it whining rather than complaining, ok Meghan? (D'oh!) I am having issues with formatting and I'm done playing with it so sorry if this is hard to read.
It's ingrained in me
The above lyrics from "Sea Song" by the Doves, have almost nothing to do with this post, except that if you love Goth-y doomy and gloomy music like I do, that song is most excellent. It came on my iPod at the end of my run and made me so incredibly happy.
So (drum roll. . . ) I went to the gym last night. It was the first time I have been to the gym in over a year. I hate the gym but I feel proud. I did legs, back, abs, shoulders and a lot of standing around like a deer caught in headlights. I was unable to remember how some of the machines work -- which was really sad since at one time I was a good devoted weight lifter. Then I decided machines are dumb and I should use free weights anyhow. And then I was thinking: I could buy some weights at Target and save $$$ by cancelling this wasted membership. Then I was thinking: they have a sauna now so I can use that rather than hot yoga and that will cover the membership. Hmmm. Somehow this resulted in the decision that I will keep the membership and go twice a week. Hold me to this! Olga already said I need to do squats (he he he he I said squat) so there you go.
BUT, does anyone else hate all the mirrors at the gym? It's as if they're trying to remind you constantly of just how much you need to be there. Of course, mirrors help when lifting -- there's no question about it. But it's one of the things that just makes me hate the gym. Meh. It's not like I hate seeing myself in the mirror, but in the giant wall sized inescapable gym mirror it's just. . . a bit much. . .
P.S. Wow this was awfully whiny. I will call it whining rather than complaining, ok Meghan? (D'oh!) I am having issues with formatting and I'm done playing with it so sorry if this is hard to read.
5 comments:
Keep the membership until at least WS so you can use the sauna for heat training.
JR
yay for gym! You made me laugh at "standing caught by the lights blah..." line! Squats, as in plural, many many plural, as in at least 50 (in sets with weights or continious without). Buying dumbells doesn't work for me - I find other things to do at home. Paying money for the gym pushes me to use it (I am frugal). And I actually love mirrors - the only place where I look at myself anyway. I never do it at home/work, I don't even comb my hair, but I know I have correct form for the excercises, so I am cool with mirrors there. Even with my pillow legs (this is the new name produced by my running partner, along with budda belly, to remind me where my trouble spots are. as if I don't know). And the sauna can be used for stretching, and for heat training - you'll need it for WS!!! You'll start in April building up from 5 min, doing plyometrics, abs, push ups, squats and so on in there. Prepare mentally to scary the crap out of laying down ladies!
Ooooh, the gym! Yipster! Whoop! Good job getting in there, Danni!
I don't do machines. All free weights of various sorts. Most exercises using a stability ball or bosu ball to call up the accessory stabilizing muscles and the core.
I didn't hear anything that sounded like a complaint. Nuthin'. Besides, I on-purpose sent a super-complain-y email to someone today. I felt guilty since I'm trying not to complain, but it just had to come out. I feel like I need to repent my sins to a priest or something. Instead, I'm apparently confessing to you! :)
Have a great weekend,
Meghan
Yeah I think I'll do that. Hey how did the 24 hour race go JR???
Olga, are you serious? 50? I can't believe someone would tell you that you have pillow legs and buddha belly. I doubt you do!
Thanks Meghan :-) I forgot about the bosu -- I love those. Yeah, it's better to do as much as you can at once, like stand on one foot on the bosu doing shoulders. I think I might manage to get into the gym thing again.
Went great. Ran strong all night. Some digestive issues cost me a bit but was managable. I'm working on the report while the brain fuzz is still fresh in my head.
JR
Post a Comment