Race numbers for Western States are out and I am # 136. Wikipedia actually has an entry for my number, and by far the best parts are:
Doreen Virtue PhD, renowned angel therapist and clairvoyant, states the numbers 136 mystically relates to: "the ascended masters and goddesses ensuring that your needs are continuously met. You help with this manifestation by keeping your thoughts attuned to the positive."
Section 136 of the Mental Health Act 1983 (UK law) details removing a mentally ill person from a public place to a place of safety.
I had no idea that angel therapy was a field. But evidently I have to keep a positive attitude for the ascended assistance. . . as for Section 136, I won't make jokes about mental illness. Not on my public blog. :p
I'm so excited I could explode. And I still have 3 hard weeks of training, plus this week (cutback) and the taper to go. I'm starting to make my charts and graphs (namely what I must do to finish under the 30 hour limit) and am pretty much obsessed. I don't know what I will do with myself when it's over! I can't let that be a reason for me to DNF (so that I can plot my comeback/revenge etc. . .).
13 comments:
Adaptation:
The Western States Ultra-marathon
30 hours to run 100 miles,
18 minutes a mile!
I don't care how tough the course
I don't care how steep the hills
I can run 18 minutes a mile,
All it takes to finish.
I must only not quit!
Over 379 runners have thought this
Only few have backed it up.
The others have heard a voice
A pitiful, plaintive voice in the wilderness crying:
"Mommy, I can't take it anymore."
"Mommy, I want to go home."
And the voice was their own!!
Humility Awaits
at the WS.
Best of luck, Danni!
Adrian (Cheryl friend from Ice Age>)
Hey there Adrian!!! I love it! That is funny!
Thankfully, I'm not foolish enough to think that way -- I am, in fact terrified, and frequently question whether I am worthy of the attempt :-) But it motivates me all the more since I know I will have to work extra hard to get my buckle.
Thanks for the visit!
I can't wait to see this buckle! It seems so appropriate for a Montanan.
Yay! I'm so excited for you! We'll celebrate your finish when you get back. After that, if you get the post race blues, you can help me figure out how to finish HURL!
The story is from the original website of the faimous Barkley Marathon... Take a look at this link:
http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/
WS will be a walk in the park for you after you get familiar with what people are doing at Barkley! :))
You'll get your buckle, don't worry! Where there is a will, there is a way... (or a relative!).
It will not be an attempt... you are just going to take what is already yours!!
A lot of people want that buckle!! (...including me... I wasn't lucky unuff to get in...:() I'm sure you are not gonna waste your chance to take it home. :))
Have a drink (and a picture) with Cheryl at the finish line for me. :)
Danni never, ever, ever, ever,ever,ever quit!!!!
Did you ever think of a sub 24? :)
I know Joanna -- I so need a belt buckle!
Iris, don't forget we have the Swan Crest run too!
Adrian, sub 24. . . I think that might be a tad ambitious ;) but I don't intend to give up. Cheryl's and my friend Chris who are pacing me won't let me anyhow.
So, did you like the Barkley Marathon? 60 hours/100 mile? Tuff... isn't it?
Ok, tough girl. You're getting down to it now, aren't you? Time's ticking and the day is approaching. Wow, it's hard for me to believe so it must be crazy for you. I think your WS training weekend is going to instill a ton of confidence in you that you can do this.
I'm thinking good thoughts for you, #136!
Meghan
Meghan, I just happen to sometimes think about a *certain* gifted fast uber runner whose first 100 didn't go as planned. It both reassures and terrifies me. . . but I am excited!
Adrian, I've long thought it would be fun to do one lap of the "fun" run and DNF after one lap. But I wonder if I could find the books. Hey, wanna try together? We could apply as a team!
What, are you talking about me? ;)
So, I think that there's like a 91% chance that your race isn't going to go perfectly, or even as you planned. But, it's all about your ability to adapt and be flexible.
When I raced the Coastal Challenge in Costa Rica, very little went according to plan. I had one really shi*ty stage where I was physically ill from an electrolyte imbalance. Plus, it was this crazy race accross a developing country! But I adapted to it all, and still ran well overall.
For some reason, I approached the 100 mile distance naively, and I was unadaptable. I was all about "the plan," and when things deviated, I froze up. I learned my lesson and won't approach the 100 mile distance that way anymore.
So, my rambling point is that you can learn from my mistake (and I pray that I have too)!
Meghan
Good luck Danni! You're a rock star!
Danni, the only reason I'm not doing Barkley yet (even as a team!) is that I'm not ready to break the "speed record of 2 miles in 32 hours" of Dan Baglione... :) At least he was 75 yr when he was there on the course!! :))
Cheryl has what I call my running "calendar" for '08... maybe you see something there that you like! "The life afer WS!"... Another 100?? What else do you have scheduled for this year?
Meghan, even if it's true that you weren't flexible and wanted to stick to the plan, you became very ill pretty suddenly. Not a whole lot you can do about that!!! But I will take your thoughts to heart for sure.
RICK!!! HI!!!!!!!!
Adrian - I'll ask to see your calendar. All I have planned is some backpacking this summer and a "57k" (www.swancrestrun.com) in September.
Post a Comment