Sunday, May 18, 2008

Saturday was a sunny warm day -- and since it's a rest week and I didn't have to run all day, Ted and I went for a hike. We hiked on the Columbia Mountain trail, which was dry for at least 3 miles. I'm guessing that once you hooked up with the Alpine No. 7 trail there would be a lot of snow, but in two weeks I will run that trail and check it out more. The trail overlooks Columbia Falls which means the view isn't all that wonderful -- and the sounds of activity below are clearly audible. Nonetheless, I think it will be a good training trail since it's easily accessible and good trail with respectable elevation gain. My hope is that the loudness from the valley below keeps the grizzlies away. :)

Last night I went to my friend Krista's cabin for an impromptu "girls' night" slumber party -- there were four of us and we had a relaxing and fun time. There was a robin who was determined to get inside the cabin and would repeatedly try to fly through the window. Evidently, the robin has been doing this for weeks. It struck me that this was a very determined robin, who probably spent a large chunk of its waking hours throwing itself against this window. At the same time, I felt somewhat saddened by the fact that this robin was never going to achieve its goal, no matter how persistent it was. In fact, I wondered whether the robin would literally die trying. I tried hard not to read too much into the robin's endeavor, especially since Kim pointed out that the robin might already be a bit brain damaged from its efforts. I guess I'll file that away in my brain under "hmmmm."





I wish I knew my flowers

smirk
Mmmmm salt






5 comments:

Iris said...

Steve and I hiked up the other way, by Echo Lake and encountered a lot of snow. Hopefully in a couple weeks, it will be clear for your run!

seagull junker said...

miss #136

here is a great course description by craig thornley

http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~thornley/wstrail.html

he is pretty much spot on

#336
who has been practicing 14 minute miles for two years now

Danni said...

The description is encouraging because I can think "if I can just get to Foresthill it might get better"

Olga said...

Don't believe the "get to Foresthill" lie:)
Beautiful flower shots!

Danni said...

Just shatter all my hopes and dreams Olga!!!