Like Night and Day
Last night (Friday night) Leanne, Iris, Iris' coworker Gretchen and I did a night run. We went out to the "Pig Farm" figuring there would be a lower chance of an animal encounter of the bad kind. When we first arrived, we found this sign posted on a tree in the parking area:
If you can't read it, it says that they were charged by a "brown furry mother bear with cuddly cub" on the southern end of the stateland area and then they ask: "do you think it was heading to Farm-to-Market Pork for dinner?" I really liked the description of the bear as "furry" and the cub as "cuddly." We did not see the furry mamma nor her cub, nor did we see any other animals. No surprise since there were four of us with lights -- none of us using our inside voices.
I realized that running at night really is quite different than running in the dark of the morning. Rather than beginning to get light, it gets darker and darker. Running single track in the dark dark is a very surreal experience. It was almost trance-like. I can see how easy it would be to trip and fall or even fall asleep while running. I really enjoyed our run and very much look forward to running at night in a couple of weeks in California. I did learn that my Fenix flashlight is VERY bright. I will keep it in my waist pack and pull it out when the ground is especially tricky or to wake myself up. I also learned that my Brunton headlamp needs new batteries. The waist headlamp was awesome. Whoever thought of that is smart. (Wasn't me obviously.)The best part about night running is that the timing is just right for a cold brew afterwards. We enjoyed the peaceful darkness while drinking like bad high school kids in the woods.

Today Iris and I ran in Glacier National Park -- the first "summer" experience of the year. The weather was absoultely perfect -- a welcome relief after a snowy dreary misery-inducing week of yuck. It was also very busy -- I forgot how busy it gets if you wait until afternoon to visit. We ran the trail that parallels Going to the Sun Road until it hit the Avalanche Lake trail -- which we followed to Avalanche Lake. There were so many people on the trail, it reminded me of Chicago a little. On a nice day in Chicago, the parks are so packed with folks it's like a festival. I don't think we were in much danger of grizzly action today.




5 comments:
Oh man I would have been a shouting fool running through a place where someone had been charged by a bear with cub at night! Actually, I would have been too chicken to run there at all.
You know, those mama bears don't move too much because they've got little ones that can't travel. They were probably bedded down sleeping not too far from where you were running!
So cool that you got in some night running. I'll bet it feels good to know what that feels like!
Meghan
Oh, I'm so excited to hear about the registrations for the race! Thanks for a peaceful run today. It was much needed and so fun.
definately have two lights for states. wheather it be a headlamp and waist lamp (i use this method) or a headlamp and handheld. you don't want to be running in the dark if something happens to just one light!
well, i saw two cubs climbing out of eldorado canyon in '06. didn't see mamma bear. let's just say that my climb up to michigan bluff was brisker than expected.
last year at rio del lago 100 i saw a cougar getting back into no-hands, pretty cool. of course i say that because it was "leaping and bounding" away from me. yikes.
very good you did a night run. the first night run i did was during the race.
Just here to lend you support in your time of taper! Good post Danni!
JR
Meghan -- I figured the bears were probably annoyed with us. We were loud and bright. I am definitely glad I did the night run -- one less unknown.
Hi Iris!
Eeeks Tom those are scary stories!!!
Thanks JR :x
Post a Comment