Monday, June 09, 2008

Western States Training Takes a New Turn
Today after work I dutifully went to the gym. . . and sat on my butt in the sauna. The temperature was around 140-150 (it went up and down) and I sat in there for about 30 minutes or so. There is a stereo system in there which was pretty cool. It was very relaxing and I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't sweat too much, which is probably a bad sign -- or a good sign that I need the training -- and instead got little rashes on my legs. The sauna is not even big enough to lie down in much less do any sort of exercise -- so please no one tell me to stuff in there :p I'm skeptical but hopefully this will help me prepare for the heat of the race. If nothing else it will force me to spend some time each evening relaxing, listening to music and maybe reading. I will try a couple runs ridiculously overdressed too -- I've been told that's a good approach. I feel a little silly doing this -- like I'm pretending to be hardcore or maybe like I'm an insane person -- but I would hate for my unwillingness to try this stuff to be my downfall.
Three weeks from now I will be en route home. It will all be over. Weird.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

For what it's worth I will let you know how I prepared for the heat at WS the last 4 years. I don't like heat and generally we don't have much around here so I had to do it the hard way.

I would run on the treadmill inside the gym for an hour with some strides to get my heart rate up and sweat moving. After that I would head to the heat torture champber...the sauna for 25-40 minutes. I would build this time and do it NO MORE than 3-4 times a week and once early in the week of the race. I would jog in place, stretch and EAT! Yes, eat my meal and drink my fluids because that's what you will need to do in the WS heat. I would drink over 130 ounces of water each day to avoid the deep muscle dehydration. A sign this might be happening is..you don't sweat much while in the sauna. Another thing to do is live in the heat while at home, in your car, sleeping before the race and if your weather is warm this is perfect training. Don't use air conditioning when your down there the days before you race....live and learn to love the heat. HAVE FUN!

Ronda said...

Hi Danni, the comment from Alex is really from me "Ronda". Alex must have signed on and not out. :)

Danni said...

Wow -- thanks Ronda! This approach obviously works for you seeing how you're so freaking fast and have finished top 10F. I will try that -- it would be easy to hit the dreadmill first and eat in there. I will work on more water intake as well.

I'm afraid it is still around 60 degrees here! No heat! I wore gloves on both weekend runs.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your heat training is the icing on the cake. No wait, your taper is the icing. I can't remember.

Keep it up Danni, your going to be sooo ready for this race.

JR