I'm still basically basking in the glory of what I feel like was a good achievement for me, but I am trying to remove the gluttony/inactive part. I've been jogging a few easy miles here and there but am anxious to get back into the swing of things. So, this morning Leanne and I did a trail race up Big Mountain (or Whitefish Mountain or whatever it's called now) and it was pretty tough but we really worked it. My lungs were on fire and my quads were burning but we worked hard for the whole hour it took us to get up. Unfortunately, I took a wrong turn and took a whole group of folks on a half mile detour but hey, bonus miles! Also, now that I've had more time to reflect and forget what the whining was about I'm pretty sure I will be signing up for Western States. I only remember having fun! I'd like to train a little smarter and see if I can take a couple hours off my hundred time :p (which I will obviously need to do). Leanne and I are going to train for her to BQ this Spring (and me too I hope) as part of my training. Today was a good reminder of how good it feels to push as hard as possible and feel the burn. I pretty much never do that anymore! (edit, maybe not "as hard as possible" but relative to my normal ambling it was a solid effort).
This (above) is the elevation profile for the race. It's not super duper hardcore but it was pretty hard.
Also, I want to welcome Isaac Galileo Ramisch into the world (Josh and Eric spawned! They are the ones who we visited in Kenya when they were living there). Seems everyone is having babies. Must have been a long winter.
P.S. Ted and I are busy improving our bocci ball skillz. We won't lose again!!!
4 comments:
I'll be so excited to hear about the BQ training - I'm sure you both will get there! And, I am both relieved and not surprised that you'll do WS. You've got the bug!
There you go Danni, feeling the burn to go at it again. Woohoo, such gluttons we ultra runners are:) I've had a couple of races that have knocked the desire right out of me, Bighorn and Tahoe Rim Trail, but it comes back eventually.
So I noticed the harder the race the longer my gluttony/inactive stage. After Bighorn last year, a race where I just wanted to crawl into a nice deep dark hole after I finished, I was in the gluttony/inactive stage for 11 days and gained 2 extra pounds! Way to get back out there and stopping the slide.
Yeah Rick, since it's so hard for me to lose weight I don't want to gain a bunch if I can at all avoid it!!!
Those both look like really tough races.
Oh a BQ? That's a great training goal! While I know you've been doing the ultrarunner thing for a bit now, I also know your running roots and that you've got a BQ in you there. I can't wait to follow along and see where your training goes!
Meghan
Post a Comment