WESTERN STATES 100 HIGHLIGHTS -- PART I
There were so many things about the race and my entire experience that were just fabulous. I don't have a lot of interesting things to say generally so I'm going to blog this stuff for all its worth. :-) The first highlight in this series is that I had my feet fixed at the Placer High track by the author of one of my favorite books, Fixing Your Feet. None other than John Vonhof ended up being the kind man who patched up my ouchie feet -- and I was simply star struck. The entire Western States experience is very princess-y, with rock star treatment at every aid station by everyone and their brother. This was really a cherry on top (there were others too but this was definitely one of them). Ted suggested I leave the bandages on forever or use them as a bookmark in my "Fixing Your Feet" book, but I thought that might be gross. Anyhow, this was pretty cool.
15 comments:
I don't know how to fix my feet, because I have never had problems!! Isn't that crazy? I don't even know preventative stuff to do if and when I ever do a 100 Miler because, well....I've never needed it!
I'm the same as sunshine girl. If I ever got a blister I'd probably immediately dnf out of shock.
JR
Well, you should get rockstar treatment because you ARE a rockstar!
Seriously, 70 miles is an impressive distance, and I think it's fabulous you did that much. Plus, it was so hot, I'm surprised your legs didn't blister away from the heat and disappear entirely...
What kind of shoes were you wearing?
Okay, old bandages as bookmarks? I have no problem with surgery, but THAT is gross! I actually just threw up in my mouth.
I love this picture of you!
I recognize those socks! Yellow and orange stripes!!! Hope they helped smother your feet in snuzzly softness. Again...so proud of you and can't wait to have you back home. Hopefully Tahoe is giving you all the R & R you deserve! :)
I don't know what it is about Western States and blistered feet but it seems to happen to a lot of runners. Getting to Peachstone in that condition is impressive. I hope you're getting some well deserved R&R at the lake.
Bill
70 miles of trail running in the Mt's and she feels like a princess :) This is why I love you Danni! Hope the feet are healing! Miss you!
How were your feet fixed? Great wrapping or more?
We are so proud of you and your race!
I found out at Rocky this year that it's necessary to wash your feet about every 25 miles. Even with gaiters fine sand gets in and causes blisters by the sandpaper effect.
That's interesting Bob. I'll try that in the future.
SLG, I was wearing Mizuno trail shoes. I've worn them before without problems, though a previous model.
Huh, I also wear Mizunos. I think they are great. Perhaps they just don't hold up as well after that many miles. Were those what you had on at your first 100 miler? Sorry about all the questions! You can just ignore me if I annoy you.
SLG, I totally don't mind analyzing the foot situation. I've been thinking about it. I think it wasn't shoes at all but wet feet combined with heat and perhaps (?) hydration/nutrition? I don't know how much the latter affects skin but I think the former is the issue. I actually had maceration more than blisters -- the maceration/crevasses in the balls of my feet were the prime discomfort. Also, I didn't tend to my feet early enough due to being a slow ass runner and worried about cutoffs. I should have taken the 5 minutes right away
Shoe preference expression of:
Five Fingers Rocklite 315 specifically designed for off road ultras.
Keep my feet drier.
http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=27&P=505097310"
I now also use socks with padding around the nails having blistered under big toes when sprinting down hills with these shoes without.
http://www.runnersshop.co.uk/shop/hilly.html
Freudian slip, five fingers well you no doubt have heard of them. Had a go with them last year.
I do wear five toe socks under my hilly socks.
http://www.toesocks.co.uk/Light_Runner_Black-p-529.html?cat_sel=228_238
Post a Comment