Monday, August 31, 2009

A BERRY (not beary) NICE DAY
Callie and I ran from the Columbia Mountain trailhead to the Strawberry Lake trailhead, which was a challenging 24 mile run. First things first -- the huckleberries were out like crazy and they were giant and delicious. Callie and I spent a lot of time stuffing our faces with these wild berries, and remarking that it should be grizzly bear nap-time so hopefully they wouldn't notice we were taking their snackage.
I don't know what it is about huckleberries but I am border-line obsessed with them. And yet, I haven't had the chance to just go and pick, without worrying about finishing a run or whatever else.

There were also lots of gorgeous thimbleberries, which are basically wild raspberries. It doesn't seem that they are always sweet but these were incredibly sweet. Almost candy-like.

So, about the run. The trail climbs about 4,000 feet in the first 5.5 miles. We were pretty tired by the time we reached the junction with the Alpine 7 trail. When we finally did we were so glad -- it was hotter than we thought it would be and wanted to actually run.


Although the Alpine 7 trail isn't as dramatic as some of the hikes in Glacier National Park, it's currently my favorite trail. I'm not really sure why this is.

The trail meanders along the crest of the Swan Mountains, which means much of the trail merely undulates rather than brutally dropping and climbing. Of course, this section of trail felt tougher than some of the other sections. Not sure why that was -- maybe it was the heat.
It was a really nice day. The only thing was. . . ... my IT Band (the deal that goes from under your knee up the side of your leg) started really bothering me and is really sore. I haven't had an injury in a long while and am very concerned that I'm going to be plagued with some awful problem that will last into ski season. My goal in life right now is to learn to ski, so that would be super uncool. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is just minor inflammation or tightness and that it will go away. How annoying.
On an unrelated but happy note, Keith and Leslie from Banff visited twice over the last couple weeks, and we had an absolute blast. It was nice to hang out with them. Next weekend I am going to the demolition derby in Fernie, Canada with Keith and maybe Leslie and Ted if they can be convinced to go.

10 comments:

Leslie's Keith said...

Danni is an EVIL TEMPTRESS and forced us to consume vast quantities of Pizza, Beer, and Ice Cream! I Love Her!

Keith

"e Brutto" said...

Mellow fruitfulness here also last day of summer judging by the forecast.
I collected a builders bucket of elderberries late afternoon for maximum sweetness.
Been removing the umbrells for hours,
while snacking on about 500 grams of sun warmed blackberies.
Are those berries of yours sweeter and more succulent snatched from the jaws of fate.
Hope you are wandering in the woods with a dirty big shotgun, death wish or what your life I suppose.
Nice post anyway.

Paige said...

Great post, and lovely pictures, Danni! I would highly recommend foam rolling that IT band after every run, no matter if it's bothering you or not. If you don't have a foam roller, use a rolling pin (yes, bakeware!), or get someone to do some deep tissue massaging of the area. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but be diligent with the rolling of it!

Learning to ski, eh? How fun! It took me 26 years to finally learn to ski and I LOVED it! I'm looking forward to some skiing as well this winter, yippee!

Leslie said...

Again, beautiful scenery and lovely looking berries!

Leslie

Joanna said...

mmm berries

"e Brutto" said...

Got fruit see your huckleberries raise you my damsons ;¬)
http://slightlypreoccupied.blogspot.com/

Danni said...

And I love Pizza Beer Ice Cream Keith and Leslie!

I don't have death wishes I have food/eating wishes and sometimes beerwishes.

Thanks Paige - I loaned out my foamroller so I might pick up some PVC pipe on the recommendation of another friend. I need to keep on top of stretching and rolling. I am bad about these things.

Thanks Leslie and Joanna!!! Joanna I had a dream about you the other night. I'll tell you later.

"e Brutto" said...

4486.311 miles away.
http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm.
Assuming you are near Kalispell.
Olney a small market town about 9 miles from Milton Keynes.
Culturally I imagine closer, g-d knows;¬)
Drop in next time you are passing we have some nice runs and I have a freezer full of berries.
A quote from a poet the best of his time in English.

'Tis pleasant, through the loopholes of retreat,
To peep at such a world; to see the stir
Of the great Babel, and not feel the crowd;
To hear the roar she sends through all her gates
At a safe distance, where the dying sound
Falls a soft murmur on the uninjur'd ear.

The Task (1785)--'The Winter Evening' (Book IV, lines 88-93)

Victoria said...

Thimbleberries! Those look like they would be delightful with a little crème fraîche. Or perhaps on top of a crème brulée. Some small bit of cream to go along with them... Your pictures keep calling "Come to Montana!"

Anonymous said...

Wow! Haven't visited for a while and and I see you been doing some awesome training. It must be about time for taper.

jr