Grinnell Glacier
My friend who is going back to school at Purdue and leaving us next week wanted to do a glacier hike before leaving -- so we went to Grinnell Glacier which is one of GNP's more famous glaciers.
It has, evidently, shrunk tremendously over the past 30 years and is a tiny shadow of its former huge self. The melt is creating a lovely little lake. Way to0 cold to swim in though,
It was a really lovely hike. Of course, I was thinking "this would be a great run!" I enjoyed the hike though. It was very popular though so it was a bit like a freeway, especially on the hike back. And up at the glacier, someone's 6 year old just chucked a water bottle into the pristine water. I wanted to go retrieve it but the water was honestly too cold. My legs quickly went numb and I had to get out. I was scared I'd create a medical emergency. But I'm wondering, is 6 years old enough to know better? The parents seemed mortified but didn't even scold her. The whole thing was really unfortunate -- especially the sense of failure I felt as I let the icewater get the best of me.

8 comments:
Reminds me of the time Joe and I were on a little tour bus of sorts in Costa Rica, and someone (a parent - not the child) threw a used disposable diaper out the window into the middle of the rain forest! I nearly choked - I couldn't believe it!
As the mother of a 6-year-old, let me assure you....it's plenty old enough to know better. Wow.
As the mother of a 3 yr old... who JUST turned 3 last week... and she knows you throw trash in the garbage, recycling in the blue bin and compost in the compost pile... I can't believe the parents didn't say anythin!
Hmm, that is unfortunate...i would like to think if I have kids they'll definitely know better at the age of 6! I'm loving Sonja...Logan looks like that on a regular basis while hiking...he loves the mud!! (and cow patties, ugh!)
Gorgeous pictures! I'm just catching up on your recent postings, and your playground is so phenomenal! How did you manage to move where you are and still have paying jobs?
So you're thinking of SF One Day? I tried that last year and quit at 12 hours though I signed up for 24. That kind of event requires more serious discipline than I had at the time (or maybe ever :) ). I may try again this year, but not sure about the budget for races these days...
When you talk about cleaning up your diet, what are you trying to change? Are you following the crossfit nutrition program? I like Robb Wolf's blog- I think he knows what he's talking about. For leaning out, he advocates holding back on carbs even post workout. I was bad tonight and had a banana split for dessert -with homemade low sugar cherry almond ice cream- but still felt gross after eating too much. You'd think I would know better.
Cynthia
Cynthia, we got really really really lucky with our jobs + location. People here work to live, which is refreshing coming from Chicago where that relationship is reversed. However, we are paid nothing compared to city salaries so there's always a catch. But we don't mind since life is so good! I'm not really a Robb Wolfe devotee but I am trying to vastly reduce my net carb intake (i.e. mostly from veggies). I'm trying out a quasi-paleo diet in the name of keeping an open mind and somewhat out of desperation. You will not catch me giving up legumes or nightshades though :p And I had a glass of milk this morning post-run. Gotta help my poor bones!
Interesting strategy. Are you feeling any different from carb restricting? It takes a period of adjustment, especially if you cut them drastically, which I'm guessing you are not (keeping the legumes and nightshades!). When I first started restricting severely (Jan 08) I actually had some hypoglycemia after hard exercise (70's blood sugar anyway) - no longer though, either I've adapted or eat enough carbs now (maybe why my weight loss effectively stalled?). I do love my carbs, but treat them as dessert, a treat to be savored. I don't restrict dairy either- too much goodness there! They are having a primal challenge over at marksdailyapple.com if you want further motivation or inspiration.
Good luck and let us know what works (and doesn't work) for you!
Cynthia
Love the pictures and you should think about Hardrock. With your terrain it would be a good venue and I think you would do well.
Keep up the good work on your clean eating...only go dirty occasionally. :)
Post a Comment