I spent the majority of my day, such that it was after sleeping late, reading a copy of my friend Jill Homer's yet-to-be-published second book "Be Brave Be Strong." I obnoxiously demanded that she let me preview it, and she kindly indulged my demand. "Be Brave, Be Strong" is about Jill's Tour Divide experience, wherein she rode her mountain bike from Banff, AB to Mexico. The Tour Divide occurred on the heels of a highly traumatic end of an eight year relationship that blindsided Jill and catapulted her into the world alone and somewhat directionless. Jill's account of the Tour Divide is beautifully written and a great read -- but it's really the honest and emotional if heart-wrenching backstory that sets it apart from your typical adventure story. I hope she doesn't edit all of that out, which I think she is considering given the deeply personal nature of it. Finding her way after the break-up is truly the bravest thing she did that summer and thereafter -- and she unquestionably exhibited strength in the process.
I felt inspired after reading Jill's book to finally get off my ass and go outside. I rode the logging roads in Herron Park for about an hour this evening, and enjoyed time spent with an empty head. I thought about nothing. I just grinded my way up and up until it seemed like time to turn around. It was a zen sort of ride.


4 comments:
I can't wait to read it..
Sounds like I need to edit one of those copies myself.
I'm really looking forward to reading it myself. Her writing always encourages me to stop my own (boring, academic) writing and get out the door on the bike.
Sounds like an awesome book. Thanks for sharing the preview and great job on your ride.
Post a Comment