Sarah, the co-race director of Headlands, tells me that Wendell, the other co-race director, has recently determined that the Headlands 100 course actually has 19,650' of total elevation gain (a couple thousand more than previously estimated) -- which is great news because it makes me feel even better about my finish. And they are upping the time limit to 33 hours. The main reason I am delighted by this news is that it means that the the Headlands course has more elevation gain than Western States. Which increases my optimism that I can finish WS in under 30 hours.
Of course, my trouble was probably more the elevation loss, and WS has more loss. . . but I'll be better at downhill running by next June I swear.
While I'm talking about Headlands, I want to say again that PCTR is a great organization and anyone who has the chance to do one of their races should absolutely do so. Here is their website if you'd like to see their extensive race calendar.
1 comment:
I love PCTR! My second ultra was with them and we've been friends ever since. Sarah, Wendell and their son Aaron are the greatest. Their events are nice because you don't have to be an ultra runner to enjoy them, distances for everyone. And when they are not busy working they are out at other events racing along with everyone else.
Funny about the course being actually harder. I'm not surprised. Can't wait to tell Donald, the runner I paced.
Post a Comment