Fall is the Fat Time of Year
Not that anyone cares, other than me, but I am highly capable and skilled when it comes to quickly packing on weight. My good eastern european stock compels me to prepare for the winter. Or that's my excuse anyhow. Every fall, at the end of the racing season, I seem to gain weight that I then have to lose in January. It's a cycle that seems like a bad one. But, somehow I seem to be full throttle in that insulation mode -- but I need to nip it in the bud. It concerns me only because I used to weigh about 30-35 pounds more than I do now, and dieting has left me damaged and somewhat overly preoccupied with these things.
I'm only declaring this publicly because I really need encouragement to stop being such a slug. Or maybe am just inviting people to commiserate. Do you have an insulation period? Does it keep you warm? :-)
16 comments:
I feel like I have been insulating since Stella arrived. I think that has something to do with Ellen's ice cream a day habit that she can do with ease because of breast feeding...
My weight swings 10-12 pounds a year. Heaviest in the Winter and lightest in the Summer. So I feel your pain. Also the harder my season the faster I'll pack on the weight. Last year I already packed on 8 pounds by this time. Because of last year I've been more aggressive with my diet. So hard to fight those cravings though, so hard. I don't even need that much insulation because it doesn't snow here.
We have a local dairy deliver our milk. Do you know what they have in November and December? EGGNOG - I didn't know how much I liked eggnog until I had the real thing - top it off with some spiced rum... yummm - next week and I can't help but imbibe. It won't help with my weight but it keeps me happy when it is cold. :-)
I agree with Joanna - eggnog is the best!
Like you, Danni, I am equally capable of recruiting insulation for the winter months - and it always starts in October. :) I am officially in my fat jeans. :( I just made some chocolate no bake cookies with black bean puree trying to mitigate the situation. :)
i start craving comfort foods as soon as it gets cold and the days get darker and shorter. i have to drag myself to the gym to try to make amends for all the warm, creamy delicious food i eat this time of year (e.g. veggie pot pie with puff pastry on top). i think the cure for this might be soup.
Y'all aren't helping with your delicious talk of eggnog and warm creamy foods lol!
Danni, my insulating time is year round unfortunately, and I live in coastal GA :cry:
I've managed to lose some weight and I find myself cold all the time, so our "winter" is going to be hard on me. Give yourself a break - eat the delicious stuff, just don't eat as much (easier said than done, I know :D)
10-12 lbs in normal but after that I get pissed and make changes. This is my normal routine for fall/winter.
jr
I used to have a pattern of putting on 5-7 pounds from Oct. to Jan. and on my 5'1" frame it's enough to make me feel yucky. As I reached the ripe age of about 38 it just didn't come off very fast and I decided no more as every year I seemed to push my chubby ness into March. I created Christmas Camp which you read about last year as a end of year push to stop and get trim. It has become a tradition for more than 5 years now. It is a schedule of running events that cummulate to 75-100 miles in a seven day period. In addition there are basic exercises done each day like push ups, sit ups, pull ups. We create bags for all participants and group runs. It's a tough time of year but it works and now with a big following it's super fun. Get a group of your friends or create a blog challenge and make the sluggish time of year fun and productive. Another idea is to pick some short fast runs and sign up. Run fast, change up the tempo and have a good time without the long hours ultras require. I find the tempo change really revs my body niceley. I don't have those pounds now with clean eating and I am happy to NOT feel sluggish and chubby. I don't like dieting so I vowed to NOT have to do it again.
Yeah, well...I am mature enough to admit anything and everything I'd say will be pure lame excuses, ones Ronda eliminated:) So I'll just shut up.
We like to call it "Fat and Sassy" season. Back when we were adventure racing we used to have a "waiger and weigh-in" as part of our New Years Celebration. We would take bets as to who put on the most weight!!
Typically, my weight will stay the same - but it will move around.
In August, my boobs have all but fallen off (where DO they go??) and in January there is ALWAYS a little more padding in the mid section.
We like to call it "Fat and Sassy" season. Back when we were adventure racing we used to have a "waiger and weigh-in" as part of our New Years Celebration. We would take bets as to who put on the most weight!!
Typically, my weight will stay the same - but it will move around.
In August, my boobs have all but fallen off (where DO they go??) and in January there is ALWAYS a little more padding in the mid section.
I am with you here. I thought I was doing OK last year keeping my weight under control, then I stepped on the scales on Jan.1 at 205lbs. Aaargh!! It took some serious effort to get down to 190 on race day.
I think Rooster is really onto something here, we should start a trail runners weight loss challenge! The competition should start on January 1. I wonder if there are any web-tools out there we can use to get this started up?
Lelsie, I like the sound of "fat and sassy season".
Cheers, Paul
David, is that kind of like sympathy weight gain during pregnancy? Since you're a guy it probably doesn't matter. :p
Rick, that's interesting about "the harder the season." I guess we need a break after working hard for awhile.
Joanna, Ted thinks you should make your own homemade eggnog. He's such a snob. That sounds really delicious!!!
Cheryl, please send me your cookie recipe.
Liz, I think you hit the nail on the head. The change in weather/light is really the culprit. And I think you're right about soup being a good potential substitute for heavy fatty food.
Jenn, I haven't seen any recent pictures of you! I bet you look faboo.
JR, if it happens to EVEN YOU I will not beat myself up!
Ronda, I now remember your Christmas Camp post. That's a great idea. I plan to make November my focused month -- I'm going to run a half marathon in early December and see how much speed I can gain in November.
Olga you are hilarious!!!
Leslie, I bet your friends hate you if your weight is usually the same!!! Just kidding. Sort of :p I LOVE it though -- the "waiger and weigh-in" is so incredibly funny.
Paul, I think that's a great idea. It sounds like a great way to kick off the "fat ass" season. Are there those kinds of runs in NZ?
Hi Danni!
Funny...I could 'cut' and Paste' your first paragraph into a Blog of my own,and it would fit exactly.Eastern European genes, used to be way heavier, slightly obsessive about it...ug...like reading my own words.
I thought excercise was the answer. Between biking, ski touring, etc..I should be able to eat what and when I want...but have realized at 45 that is NOT the case. Once I changed how I ate, it all fell off...(no so much what, but how much...I can eat VERY large portions). Also, I'm married to an eating machine...Leslie can eat twice what I do and not show it at all...
So, now I'm just a little more careful...(except a weakness for Hallowween candy!)
Happy Halloween...
Keith
PS...you can tell by the number of comments that this is a much more thought about subject than people admit!
Oh Danni!
Goodness this is kind of a funny-but-sad post. Olga's response is also pretty funny, the whole "fat and sassy" part!
I say, don't worry about it, as long as you are running and all.
Hope you're doing well, Danni!
Take good care,
Meghan
Keith, I'm glad you can relate! I agree that diet is 99% of it. Exercise only does so much!
Hi Meghan! Don't be sad I'm just whining :-)
Post a Comment