Today I did my long run and had an absolutely awesome run. My plan was to return to the road I had to hitch a ride on last summer when I got lost on logging roads and try to run a loop to Kila and back to Kalispell. I believe someone told me at some point that the road isn't plowed and that winter travel is sketchy on the road, but I don't listen to people of course.
I knew the day was going to be awesome when my iPod (on shuffle) treated me to Mehbooba Mehbooba by Rahul Dev Burman as the first song. If that song doesn't make you feel happy and smile, you might be dead. Check it out. It's a happy song!
So, I ran the road I wanted to check out, did some exploring which was fun, and ran up up up up up into the mountains until the road was un-runnable. I turned around and flew dooooowwwwn back to the main road. Exploring is so fun. There are so many forest service roads back there -- I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can check them out. Of course, then I will probably be on trails, but nonetheless I need to get to know that area. It's practically in my back yard!
By the time I got back to the main road (Airport Road/Foys Canyon Rd) I had 19 miles and basically just needed to complete the "canyon loop" and tack on a few extra miles to bring me to 30. It was insane how fast the first 19 miles flew by.
En route, I thought I'd check out some old friends (of the trail variety) and welcome them into spring. They were still snowy but it was nice to just say "hi!"
I saw a snow snail. I think if you're in the backcountry that's an indicator that avalanches could happen. I wasn't too worried. I wasn't really ever in the backcountry! Safe!
AAAAH the sun!!! I LOVE YOU SUN!!! So glorious and majestic and wonderful. I think my day was fabulous, in part, because I just soaked in the sun with a stupid grin on my face all the live long day. Oh joy!
I don't remember having ever run such an effortless 30 miles. I felt fresh and good the whole time. I don't know if it was the weather, last night's pizza binge, or the fact that I ate trail mix and dried pineapple instead of gels? Or maybe I'm in better shape than I tend to assume I am? Whatever it was it was awesome. Near the end I checked out Lone Pine State Park, and they've totally redone the visitor's center and put some neat signs up to teach me about nature and stuff.

Since I was planning a route that would take me back to where, last summer, I saw a lot of people who looked like they were dressing up as hillbillies for Halloween, I thought I should be modest and wear shorts over my capri tights. I never do this, as it's not a good look and I like to not look really silly. But sometimes looking silly is better than looking cute.
A shark in your goldfish bowl does not belong. . . . Noxious weeds like this Dalmation Toadflax do not belong.
I love the piece of wonder bread in front of the squirrel. I am not sure whether the squirrel or the bread = shark in goldfish bowl. Never mind that goldfish probably don't really belong in bowls. Or in Montana. In bowls.
9 comments:
You are wearing my favorite favorite favorite mountain hardwear shorts! I love them!!! Thank you for learning me about Canadian Lynx (how come it isn't Canada Lynx tho?), sharks, and wonder bread.
I LOVE those shorts, which is part of why I wore them truth be told. They're awesome.
It's not a "Canada Lynx" because as Danni would say..they come from "Canadia", where her Canadian friends reside.
Danni, your run description made me smile, and believe it or not, look forward to going home for some spring running in the melting snow. Still a few days to ride in the desert though, no reason to waste 'em.
Diablo will be som much fun! I'm actually feeling prepared.
Keep training, and see you in 2 weeks!
Keith
(Les gets home from OZ tomorrow. Yay!)
Oh...and yes...'Snow Snails' are a sign of Avalanche possibility...(warming snowpack on steep slopes...danger)
You're growing your backcountry awareness! Good for you...
KB
Looks like you had a great time. Glad to hear it went so well for you! Sunshine and warm temps in the forecast for the week. Woohoo!!!
30 effortless miles?? Now that's talking! I am jealous, and glad you say that, because you ARE in better shape than you think!
Ditto to Olga's comments. "30 effortless miles" means hell yeah Baby - you are right on track! I liked the photo at the end that gives a great overview of the area where you live.
See you in a couple of weeks.
Cheers, Paul
Keith I am learning well from the Canadians from Canadia!
So Paul you're still coming to Diablo? YAY!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Olga :-)
Leanne I think I might wear shorts tomorrow morning!
Nice run Danni and what a backyard. Loved the snow snail...you had me going there for a brief moment. :)
Post a Comment