Sunday, December 06, 2009

I bought a season pass so I can learn to ski this winter -- this was opening weekend and it was a mixed bag. Saturday was good conditions (I thought) and I surprised myself by having a pleasant day. Today it was REALLY cold and windy and icy and I struggled. It was clear today and beautiful, but I didn't bring my camera and didn't want to take my mitten off to get a picture with my phone. You'll have to take my word for it.

I already feel like I've made good progress this weekend. I have ridden the chair and gotten on and off without hysteria or injury. I've made it down the dreaded "anthill" -- which is a really steep hill one must ski down to get to all of the green runs from the top -- three times now. Twice in good snow once in bad snow. Yesterday I skiied a blue run and liked it. I'm slow and silly looking but doing better.

I'm learning to ski so I can backcountry tour -- but I've got to say that so far I sort of enjoy the resorty feel of resort skiing. There are lodges at the bottom and the top, and both serve food and beer. Love it.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Hey, i'm doing the same thing! I've been wanting to backcountry ski forever and my boyfriend is huge into it...i just need to get better on the hill first...I really hope I can manage to get over my stupid fear of speed and steepness...as of now I've been just sticking with blue runs. Good luck!

Danni said...

Deb I don't think it's absolutely necessary to go fast :p Although going really slow = left behind! (Well, my snowboarding friends had to wait for me Saturday a lot).

Iris said...

The anthill, as you call it, scared the crap out of me. I'm hoping Great Divide will be smaller and more user friendly for the still beginner in me. Good luck and I admire your dedication to learning something new! I'd be falling asleep next to the fire after the beer.

Leslie's Keith said...

Hey Danni...If we go ski touring in the Sunshine Village "Slackcountry"...we can have the best of both...a day long tour followed by Chimney Corner Lounge for a fabulous dinner and Beer! So...when are you and Quinn coming? :)

KB

Danni said...

Iris, let me know how it is over there!

Yes Keith, that sounds divine. I can't wait to come. I wish my schedule were more clear.

Thomas Bussiere said...

The one thing I miss most about living in VT was skiing. Not much snow in GA .
It’s good to pickup a new activity. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Go Danni, go! Learning a new sport is sooo crazy at times, isn't it?! Just think in 4 months what it will be like when you re-read this post as a skiing expert! :)

Kate said...

1.4.10.

happy holidays. are you on a planned blogging hiatus, I hope? b/c as a regular checker of your bloggity blog, I am starting to get worried about your whereabouts.

peace.