Friday, June 04, 2010

A MUSING ALONG THE ROAD TO SELF-IMPROVEMENT



In a couple weeks I turn 35, which is a minor landmark age I think. It’s half way to 40 (the new 30). I like reflecting on “where I am” in my life when I hit these milestones big and small. Turning 30 was fantastic – I embraced the notion that I got a visit from the “f off fairy” upon turning 30 and could be a happier more secure person. This was true, even if only because I made it true.

So where am I at 35 that is different than when I was 30? There are many things that are different, and one has to do with my relationship with weight and food. I thought of this because my “blog friend” Sea Legs Girl often posts about weight and running and her struggles with wanting to be really skinny. She recently posted about BMI and running. Personally, I think she has evolved since I’ve been reading her blog into a more reasonable person on this topic, but her posts are typically easy to dismiss as insane or eating disordered. But then, probably most of us have to admit to being conscious of our weight and occassionally making ourselves crazy over it. Who hasn’t stepped on the scale and allowed the number to affect our mood at some time or another? Hopefully most or many of us have found some sort of peace with our bodies, the scale and our relationship with food. I feel like I have come much closer to a permanent treaty, which might not be totally obvious if you hear me make jokes about being morbidly obese etc., but old habits die hard, right? And what’s funnier than self-deprecation? I thought I would share some of the “eureka” moment type realizations I’ve come to, and hope stay with me as I continue on in my 30s and closer to the new 30.

1) Most of these realizations must be credited to my friend Cheryl who is now a Registered Dietician. In learning about how incredibly smart our bodies are at getting their way (to put it simply), she (and thus me) has learned that to some extent obsessing is a losing battle anyhow.

2) Cheryl has a good friend, who I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know, who is anorexic. Knowing someone and seeing someone in person who is truly anorexic helps put things in perspective. Being healthy and able to do the things we love is what matters. Strong bones, strong muscles and a healthy attitude don’t get enough props. Check out my friend Corey, below, with her overhead squat -- pretty awesome.



3) I was overweight in law school and did need to lose that weight – I did so (lost about 35 pounds total) and was about 10 pounds lighter than I am now for a while but have hovered at my current weight more or less (+/- 5 pounds) for the past 5-6 years. And yet I constantly have this idea that I should diet or do something to lose X pounds in X months. And how is that working for me? J What a colossal waste of time. The things we do every day or over the course of an average week for all our life are what affect our weight in the long run. Sure, extra holiday weight should be shed so as to not let it pile on year after year, but on the whole, a diet is a complete waste if the weight cannot be maintained. That’s the tough part. I cannot maintain at 115 pounds. I’m done bothering with that nonsense.

4) My athletic performance is dictated by my training. Yes, with all else being equal I am faster when I am skinnier, but all else is never equal with me because being skinnier usually means I’m not eating enough to train really well. Seeing how no one is paying me to run or Crossfit, I’m not going to beat myself up over failing to reach my highest potential as an “athlete.” I’ll take the low-hanging fruit in terms of victories :p Not that others shouldn’t make this a priority even if it’s a hobby – I’m all for that. Me, I have other priorities too that don’t jive with peak performance.


5) No one cares how much I weigh so long as it’s healthy.

6) I am not happier when I weigh 5 pounds less. I’m the same only lighter and probably hangry (hunger = angry).

7) If I do not obsess about calories or WW points and just use basic common sense in my eating, I don’t feel as hungry and don’t gain weight. At this moment I know I could have a piece of that chocolate cake if I wanted it. I don’t want it because I’m not hungry. Thus, I won’t eat it. My brain doesn’t work this way when chronically calorie deprived. My brain and my stomach instruct that I binge on the cake. . . then I feel sad and must starve and the cycle continues.


8) If I eat more fat like nuts and load up on veggies I’m pretty full anyhow.

These are all the things I can think of for now. No, I’m not holier than thou and I do not claim to never feel bad about my weight anymore. But for the most part I can’t conjur up that much care over the topic anymore. It’s good for me to try to keep things in check, but I can’t spend the rest of my 30s worrying about 5 pounds. There are other things to worry about. Like beargate.

18 comments:

Devon said...

Great post! I am there with you. When I am intuitive about my eating, listen to my body, and at peace with the natural fluctuations, I feel so much better and actually find my body responds better. It is amazing how confounding worrying about weight actually is. As you said, if you are chronically deprived you end up binging on things and your body holds on to everything. It has taken me a long time to get to the point of really spending more of my time NOT worrying about weight than worrying about it. I would rather be 5 lbs heavier and 1000x happier than deprive myself (and for what, really?!?!)

Jill Homer said...

You are awesome. I hope we can hook up and do a trail run once I make it down to Montana. And after we will go out for pizza so we don't become hangry.

Danni said...

Thanks Devon. And it's great to know that even top athletes deal with this nonsense. We all have to live our lives and like it. And you especially being a foodie and all :-)

Jill definitely stop by! I'll gladly help you navigate the area and take you to GNP -- I don't have a mountain bike but will try scary peak bagging with you.

sea legs girl said...

First, I just have to laugh at Jill's mention of "hangry". I use that word you coined Danny everytime I'm hypoglycemic from my crazy dieting. It's perfect and makes Rasmus and me laugh. You are right that the most important thing is we feel good and are happy and can do what we love. I will just add two things.

1. I personally and happier when I am at a weight that most would consider too thin. Though the most important is to be strong and lean and athletic. If one is too skinny for that, being "skinny" is pointless, as you said.

2. It is HARD to stay at a healthy weight, I believe, contrary to what you say. A couple of times in my life I have quickly and easily slipped into the near overweight category just from stopping my obsessive eating patterns. It may not be true for you, but I suspect it is true for many.

Thanks for this great post. I am always happy when my obsessions eventually lead to something constructive. :)

Jenn said...

Great post - my favorite sentence: "What a colossal waste of time." It really is a waste - of time, energy, and emotion. We've talked about this before. Even at my advanced age of 35 years and 3 months ;-) I'm in the best shape of my life - my body pretty much does what I ask it to (as long as I don't ask it to do something really ambitious!). And I like how I look. But I still want more, or less, in some ways ;) One day I'll get there!!

Danni said...

Jenn you have made great strides and hopefully will know when it's "too much" loss. You look fantastic right now but I know it's hard to draw the line.

SLG, I guess I would say it's easier to stay at a healthy weight when it's a more natural one than when the chosen "healthy weight" is artificially low. For me, even though I'm short (5'4"), it's so much easier for me to stay 130 than 115. It's like night and day. Maybe "easy" would be a gross overstatement but it's much easier.

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Interesting post. From your recent running results, it seems you are doing quite well and maybe this is a good weight for you. It seems that arguing with your body is an annoyance and waste of time, though I still do it. I'm pretty sure I would be healthy if I could drop 20lbs to more like college weight, but my body seems to like it here. I argue with it and say "you'll never drop the weight if you don't stop eating now", and it says, "but I'm still hungry!" and the weight doesn't change of course. Clearly there is some kind of resistance going on.

Enjoy your summer. I look forward to hearing about your adventures! Are you heading out to California at all?

Cynthia

Danni said...

Cynthia thanks for the comment. I think I'm where I should be weight-wise. I'm thinking about Dick Collins this fall but otherwise have no immediate CA plans. What is your race schedule?

Allison Chapple said...

I endorse this post. Wholeheartedly.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate said...

Great post from a much wiser, much older woman.

okay, less than a year older, but who's counting? ha ha ha!

My latest craze as you may know is to focus just on eating "real" food and not worry about the rest, because it will probably work itself out (and as you said, can't be changed that much anyway without great effort that I'm not willing to spend on it).

I am definitely still prone to the "I just need to lose 5 lbs." mentality, though. I think this is somewhat affected by the +45lbs., -45lbs. fluctuation of pregnancy, though, because over the last few years I'm having to constantly revise my closet and my notions of which clothes I can fit into. So for me it's more about feeling comfortable and looking good in my clothes than about hitting any particular number, but I probably still worry about it too much.

Another problem Joe and I have is the "I just did a great workout, so now I deserve to eat like a pig" mentality, which is so counterproductive, especially when instead of ultra-running and crossfit, we're basically going out for a 20 minute jog and then eating like we just ran a marathon!

Danni said...

Awww Kate but you and Joe are both so little (thin) and cute! It's so crazy to see how much this stuff plagues the beautiful people and others alike. :-) I know what you mean though about using workouts to justify gluttony. I try to reserve this mentality for races.

Olga said...

Man, you are way too wise for a 35 yo:)) I had the comment that you read, and that summed up my point...which is equal to all your points. Happy birthday, you're half-way to be where I am now! But then again, I'll be half-way elsewhere once you catch up:) so lets grow wiser, but not older, and always awesomely looking and even better feeling!

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Firetrails is a great race (except for that bit going down toward the turnaround) and I may run it again this year (though last year was pretty awful due to foot pain). There's a string of local 50K's I have my eye on in late July/Aug, and I'll see how it goes there first. I hope to run into you someday, though you'd dust me on the trails!

Cynthia

Danni said...

Yeah Olga I look up to you for many reasons, and not just because you're an inch taller than me.

Cynthia, that's so not true -- remember I was barely ahead of you at Diablo, no?

Ronda said...

A little late in commenting but I thought I would put my spin on it. I have never been anorexic even when I wish I could be. Some internal mechanism or drive to be healthy is more important to me. Even if I want to wear tight skinny jeans. I seem to always revert back to healthy and energenic. I also have never been obese except when I was pregnant and the doctor begged me to stop eating.

One thing I know is we are not a society of anorexics. We are a society of obese people. I am horrified at car line when I pick up Alex at school. Many of the kids are obese or will be soon. With that said, I have a distaste for people who degrade their body and make food ugly ultimately making them ugly even they are physically gorgeous. I HAD a friend who did just that. She was beautiful, thin, athletic but continued to degrade her body and therefore her mind. She became very ugly to me. In our tiny microcosm of athletic people there is certainly a heightened awareness and discussion but I have seen very few runners these days who are too thin. Most are just right or packing a bit. Maybe being a bit paranoid is appropriate. Maybe it keeps us from being normal (fat). I am certainly no skinny minnie and I tend to carry a few extra here and there but I do care about my weight which most definitely translates into my health. When I look around I refuse to get to comfortable with being chubby. Because today's chubby is not healthy. I hear it all the time with mom's about their kids, "He/She is chubby". No, he/she is headed down a path that will be much more than just chubby.

I think it's best to look at our bodies with respect and honor. Treat it like we want it to treat us. That to me is a healthy outlook on weight.

Paige said...

Wow, love this post! I think it sounds like you're in a good place and that makes me happy :)

For a short little stint (a year maybe), I was obsessive about weight for some reason (in college, go figure) and always had a little fluff around the edges (though I'm sure I actually just looked healthy, rather than fluffy). Ultimately, it's what got me back into running. So, for that, I am thankful.

I've never had any issues with food, just a raging sweet tooth that was hard to reign in. But as I got older and wiser (I think!) I started to learn more about myself and my body and began to respect it more. I wanted to run more and more and that meant eating more and more, thus requiring me to make better decisions about what was going in.

I also stopped weighing myself. It's just a number and all it does, no matter what it is, is aggravate. So, no more scales. I don't care to know the number because I enjoy the way I look and feel, and that's all that matters. When I go to the doctor, they always say outloud what I weight, so I have a general idea, but whatevs. This is the best I've felt at any point in my 20s!

It only gets tricky when I'm off running due to injury or rest. That's when I really have to step up the mindfulness with regards to fueling. And lay off birthday cake at the office :)

Danni said...

Ronda you're right for most of the country the vanity 5 isn't the issue. And yes healthy bodies won't let you become anorexic - the will to nurish is strong. Treating yourself with respect is fundamentally what it's all about.

Paige, sounds like you're in a great place! Right on!