Thursday, January 03, 2008

TAGGED AGAIN!
Kendra was tagged again and tagged me and I love these games so here I go:

1. Most memorable moment on the trails:

When I ran the Gunsight Pass trail by myself I felt totally liberated by the realization that I could run trails alone and live to tell the tale. It's not necessarily ideal safety-wise but it's so peaceful and special in a way that's different from running with good friends, which is also special. It was also overwhelmingly beautiful and inspiring.

2. Best new trail I discovered in 2007

This was my first summer here so all the trails were new. I would say the Herron Park trail to Blacktail was the "best" given its close proximity to home.

3. My best performance of the year was…

I guess my best performance was Boston. Despite feeling totally unable to run 7 miles in January after a terrible Ironman performance (due to lack of training) and a few months off (so basically after a year of minimal running) I was able to run 3:57 -- not my best time but definitely my best executed race. It was the first time I ever ran even-ish splits throughout an entire marathon. And it was like my 12th marathon or something -- it took me that long to learn that it's true about time in the bank being repaid double. Who knew? ;)

4. I do not know how I previously survived without…

Headlamps! Oh how I love my (two) headlamps. I think I am going to use my amazon certificate my mother and father-in-law gave me (thanks guys!!!) to add a cool flashlight to the collection. I guess I never used to run where it was truly dark. Chicago's path is well lit and there's always a pink hue to the sky in the city.

5. The person I would most like to meet on a trail in 2008...

Cheryl. If I make it to the second dawn at WS I will see her and run with her on the trail (I should put "run" in quotes) and that will be a very good thing.

I hereby tag Leanne and Iris. (If Leanne wants to talk running on her dogblog).

AND IN OTHER NEWS

We had an awesome time over the New Year holiday visiting family -- it was so good to see everyone. I'm waiting for our niece to send the pictures she took and with her permission I will post one or more of them. It was balmy in New Jersey which made for good running, what little of it I did, and I slept a ridiculous amount. It was good to see 512 Hudson, where my father grew up, and think about the Starbucks on the corner and how much he would have loved to have Starbucks on the corner growing up. I think my dad was born with a cup of coffee in his hand.

I'm lucky to have cool in-laws whose company I enjoy tremendously. People usually say "in law" with a grumpy face but not me. And evidently they even read this blog. That's devotion! I love you guys very much. Ted does too and would say so if he took his job as co-blogger seriously.

3 comments:

Iris said...

I'm still in awe of your accomplishments this year, and am looking forward to cheering you on for Western States!

Leanne said...

I'd be happy to be tagged again! I'm sure Hunter can wiggle his way into one or two of these.

And I just have to say...YOU'RE AWESOME!!!

Kendra Ralstin said...

That's it! You're my permanent taggee. Loved your responses. Gunsight Pass is amazing, though I walked it (before ultra running days) and was not alone (though in retrospect that would have been better given the annoying person I was with). Hope the Jack Daniels is going down smoothly! Happy New Year full of great new adventures, Danni!