Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NIGHT RUNNING


Last night Quinn and I did an awesome night run up Big Mountain. The picture above is a representation -- I forgot my camera. We ran up the Danny On trail, up to Flower Point (I think that's what it's called) and made our way down. It was pretty cool to be up at the Summit House at night when there was no one there. I think one of the reasons I like long ultras is because I really love running at night. The stars were, like on Saturday, plentiful and pretty and there's just something cool and peaceful about being out on the trail in the dark. It wasn't creepy, although Quinn saw beady eyes at one point only to determine that they were deer. Also, there were tons of frogs, and I had no idea that there were so many frogs up there! Zella, Quinn's dog, thought that was pretty cool I think. In total we ran 9.5 miles. Quinn is prepping for Bear 100 and she seems to be a natural at night running. Whereas I may have taken a spill or two -- nothing serious. Anyhow, it was pretty fun and definitely worth mentioning. If you haven't gotten out on the trails at night, I highly recommend you try it (with good lights, fresh batteries and some company).

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I LOVE night running also!! The stars are beautiful..

Leslie

lucia said...

WOW, the stars just aren't the same in New Jersey .....

Anonymous said...

Last time I was out after dark in the mountains on my own was on Mt Olympus.
I had a loud growly unseen creature for company.
'e brutto'