Monday, September 21, 2009

THIS WINTER I BECOME A BOND GIRL (in my imagination anyhow)

Rebecca, my friend in Helena, got me excited about trying the winter biathlon in Seeley Lake this January. That's XC skiing and target shooting for those of you who think it's running and biking. Ted and I took his .22 out for target shooting, and though I tend to hate guns, I became more comfortable with the rifle and actually hit the target (playing cards) a couple times.
In the biathlon you shoot standing and prone. In the above picture I'm standing horribly wrong, which Ted straightened out. I never knew my husband knew so much about guns or shooting. Funny don't you think? Anyhow, I will try to find a gun safety class. Tom said I can borrow his bolt action .22 which is more appropriate for biathlon (Ted's is semi-automatic which I don't think is allowed in biathlon).

It's fun to learn new random activities! And no, I am still never going to run with a gun. A study just came out confirming, yet again, that bear spray is significantly more effective in avoiding bear attacks than guns.

7 comments:

Iris said...

Good to know. Just when I was thinking about purchasing one...

Danni said...

A rifle? Biathlon gun? Bond girl?

Leslie said...

But wait, where's the beer bottles?!

Because shootin' sober is like....fishin' sober!

Leslie

"e Brutto" said...

When you get bored now you have the option of nationalising Alberta.
History teaches us that you can not handle a Big Bear without superior fire-power.
http://www.cmhg.forces.gc.ca/cmh/en/page_567.asp

Paul Charteris said...

You need to borrow a Finn to teach you all about biathlon. Those Finns just love cross-country skiiing and shooting at shit - especially Russians.

Danni said...

That's funny Paul.

sea legs girl said...

I love biathlons! Not that I've ever tried one or even held a real gun. They are just on tv in the winter here in Denmark as much as golf is on tv in summer in the US. What I am trying to say is it is a hugely popular sport here and looks like a lot of fun.