Swan Crest 57k III (2009 Edition)
For the third time I headed to Swan Lake (about 30 miles from Kalispell) to run the Swan Crest 57k. The run is always self-supported, and this year it went back to its roots (before I was ever here) and was an informal non-race. This was just as well, and didn't make it any less fun. Just must cheaper.
I knew some Helena friends were coming, including Rebecca (above) and Martin, but I didn't know when they would arrive Friday night or where they were going to camp. I set up at the "normal" place, but a motorcycle gang showed up and took over much of the campground. I then found some other friends who were going to camp up at Napa Point, so I decided to go with them. I'm glad I did because it was incredible up there -- there was little moon so the stars were out of control.
I enjoyed a dinner of beer and potato chips and slept in the back of a Suburban. I felt so safe in my Suburban fortress and kept waking up excitedly looking out the windows to see the stars and looking for wildlife. Alas, I did not see any animals and I probably didn't sleep that much, but it was fun. And my friends were sleeping in an Airstream, where they made pancakes for breakfast. That's a nice way to start the day!
The run starts right there at Napa point and meanders about 25 miles through the Swan Range to the trail that goes up 6 Mile Mountain -- then you run down to the town of Swan Lake which makes the run 57k (35 miles). I was really worried about my knee since Thursday morning I had to walk due to knee pain (IT Band) after 4 measly miles.
Friday I rolled that sucker (IT Band) like it was going out of style, and I think it paid off because I felt naught a niggle during this trail run. However, I took it easy with Rebecca and we skipped 6 Mile (3 miles) and when we reached the end of the trail, there was a vehicle with a note asking that someone drive it back to Swan Lake, so we obliged and lobbed off the last several miles of the run, which is gravel road and a mile of highway. So, I'd guess we ran about 28-29 miles (?) Maybe 27. Who knows. My stupid Garmin, not fully charged, died around mile 23.
I love this run and I love this trail. When I first did this run two years ago with Iris, it was maybe my first real exposure to epic mountain running -- and the first time I learned about this incredible trail. The Alpine # 7, which I've now run most of this summer, goes from Napa Point to Columbia Mountain, or around 65ish miles. It passes through the Jewel Basin hiking area as well, which is an area favorite. One of these days I'll do the whole trail all at once or over a couple days. Maybe next year.
This is also part of what will be the first Swan Crest 100 next July (the last weekend of July). That is going to be an amazing 100 miler, and I'm excited about helping plan the race. It's going to happen and it's going to be awesome. I invite all of you to come check it out!
As you all probably know by now, I am a good-eater. And this post wouldn't be complete without huckleberry pictures. They are still out and still huge and still delicious. I felt like a grizzly bear stuffing my face madly with these sweet delicious berries.


6 comments:
Brings back good memories. Glad Rebecca had a chance to experience it too. Sounds perfect without 6 mile mountain and the endless road portion!
Go play with Quinn and Leslie!
PS...I miss you! Got to see you so many times in the last few weeks that I got spoiled. :(
Keith
Yes, come play with us at the Bear! Looking forward to our night run tonight!
Thanks for including all the beautiful photos, as always. I so enjoy seeing your beautiful area. Wow, 28 miles, how awesome - looks like it was a lovely day to be out. Isn't the foam roller awesome???
K
Great photos, and sounds like a wonderful experience with the under-the-stars camping, even in the Suburban! Glad your ITB held up.
Oh, and your blog is awesome!
-Stina (from "that running forum")
Really? REALLY? We need to talk!
Post a Comment