Sunday, October 25, 2009

ER OK WHATEVER

Not much to report -- haven't been in beautiful places or done anything noteworthy lately. But I'll share with you that my Crossfit friend has convinced me to (reluctantly) try the "Paleo Diet" until Thanksgiving. It's where you eat like a caveman (if you google it you'll get all kinds of results). It is insanely popular among Crossfit devotees. There are some devout followers of this way of eating, some of whom read my blog, so I won't diss it. . . anyhow, I thought I'd share so I can let you know how long this lasts and how I do. I'm not giving up coffee though, even if "Grog" didn't have an espresso machine. And I'll probably have booze on Halloween. Otherwise, I'll give it my best and let you know if it cures all that ails me (mmmmm ale) or whether it just makes me so miserable that I act like a grumpy caveman. The goal isn't to lose weight necessarily, the goal is supposed to be to feel wonderful and boost my athletic abilities. Obviously, I'm only trying it in case it makes me skinny :p I'll keep you posted.

10 comments:

lucia said...

hmmm, haven't looked up the diet yet, lots of red meat? I'll keep checking here to see how it goes for you. BTW Have you surgically removed your toenails yet? I figured I'd be the first to ask after reading last Thursday's article in the NYTimes about ultra runners and those pesky toenails.
love to you and Ted,
Lucia

Danni said...

You are the first to ask -- and no Lucia, I'm not going to have my toenails surgically removed, though they're not very pretty these days. We love you too!

HappyTrails said...

We have been thinking about getting somewhat "serious" about focusing on the Paleo diet, too - how funny! After doing some reading about it, the diet isn't too difficult or odd although we will probably keep a little dairy (cheese and yogurt) in ours. It will be interesting to see what happens!
K

Shane said...

Danni...Good luck with the diet!

Make sure to eat a lot of fruit if you're doing lots of running. Most Crossfitters don't work out more than a few minutes a day but runners like us need a lot more carbs than most Crossfitters. If you need suggestions, I post my diet on my blog daily, although I sneak a few non-paleo treats in now and then.

And don't worry about the coffee. I drink it daily too. Big deal!

sea legs girl said...

Hey Danni,

Cool. I have been looking for a diet that will make me act more like a grumpy caveman. Let me know how it goes!

I also need to tell you AWESOME job at the 100 in the Hood! And really enjoyable race report. Makes me kind of want to do it. But 100 miles is, well, long. Also, you look so healthy and pretty in your pics! So it couldn't have been all bad.

Danni said...

K -- just go for it :-)

Shane, thanks for the note. I will take a look at your blog for inspiration. I haven't been running much lately but if I do ramp back up I will definitely add in more fruit. I'm glad to hear others get the coffee thing.

Thanks T - I think you would love 100 mile race. It's interesting at a minimum.

Burton said...

You mean, in case it makes you "more" skinny. BTW, is that caveman running in Montana? It's beautiful out there behind him.

Joanna said...

You could eat this: http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2009/10/27/meat-hand/

:-)

Danni said...

Thanks Derek. Joanna that's cool and disgusting all at the same time.

Paul Charteris said...

Hey Danni, you know I am big fan of Paleo. Back in 2007 when I was really strict about eating paleo, I lost about 20 lb in 2-3 months. It was pretty amazing. There's no doubt that this way of eating sure works. I eat about 70% paleo now. Good luck with your experiment - it is worthwhile.

Cheers, Paul