Sunday, April 04, 2010

CLOSING WEEKEND
so sad
Today was closing day on Big Mountain. It snowed and then the sun came out. It was pretty great and the skiing was actually pretty good. I'm a little sad that this fun winter is drawing to a close, and am especially not thrilled about the "shoulder"season of melt. Not enough snow to ski but not enough melt to get into the high country for hiking.
Above, left to right, are Corey, Shawn and me. They were my ski buddies all winter, although they actually snowboard. Shawn basically taught me to ski. He is a ski instructer technically though he mostly teaches snowboarding.

Sonja will be really sad to see the snow melt. She loves snow. Yesterday we went on a trail run in Herron Park and she was pleased to find some remaining snow.



This was a really fun winter. I truly think that having a winter sport is critical living in a winter wonderland like northwestern Montana. It makes living here that much more incredibly fun. There's really just so much to do. Even if you're not into exercise, snowmobiling is probably fun (though it's stinky and loud). But what seems important is being able to get out there and enjoy this incredibly beautiful place and take full advantage of each season. Yay!

7 comments:

Leslie said...

I doing a "trembling lower lip with sniffles" for you. I'm sticking it out reeeeeal far! Farewell winter, huuuullo sweet spring and summer!

Danni said...

Hello trail running with my friends Resree and Keith!

HappyTrails said...

Sniff, sniff, a kleenex dabbing the tear from my eye (just for you!). You are right - it is AWESOME to be able to get out in our beautiful areas any season (although I am preferring the warmer temps as I get older - sorry!). Sonya is so pretty-I am sure she will miss the snow. Have a great week!
Kathleen

Danni said...

Thanks Kathleen!

Ronda said...

Any ultra plans yet? I am really ready for spring. We get snow if mountains but rain down here. It makes the sun really special to PNW Oregonians :)

Anonymous said...

You'll have a rockin' spring and summer- and before you know it, the snow will blanket everything all over again.

SaWeetness in flake form.

Danni said...

Ronda, just Devil's Backbone in July. I might do another 100 this fall. The new one in Oregon maybe?

Thanks Ti. The seasons come and go so quickly there's no point in dwelling on the change!