Sunday, December 05, 2010

Weekend Above the Clouds

Our little mountain valley frequently sees what is known as an "inversion" -- where the clouds hang low above the valley, socking everything in (rather drearily I might add).  But, if you can get on top of a mountain, you can soak in endless sun and, if you're lucky, warmth.  It was opening day on Big Mountain (Whitefish Resort) and while cold, it was beautiful.  Friday morning I had skinned up with Dave and we experienced great snow.  This picture below is of me -- or my light at least.  I was behind Dave.

lifted from Dave's blog -- this is what pre-work skiing looks like

The snow was pretty good yesterday on the mountain but the whole mountain was carved up by the swarms of skiers who made it out for opening day.
Today my friend Amber and I played around on Blacktail Mountain, which is not open yet, and had an amazing day.  We did about 4 laps up/down in approximately 5 hours.  It's a lot of work but it was so incredibly beautiful and we skied some perfect untouched powder.  I can see why people get addicted to powder skiing -- it's like floating.  

We were met with perfect bluebird skies and warm winds above the inversion.  
As the sun started to descend we saw a gorgeous alpinglow (sp?).  This picture doesn't do it justice.  But you can see the blanket of clouds.  It's like being in a plane.
A fantastic weekend.  Good friends, good snow, good exercise, good everything.  Amber remarked that the world would be a better place if everyone could regularly experience what we were able to experience today.  I agree completely.

8 comments:

Ewa said...

This is beauty beyond belief. I so agree that people need to get out and see such things more often to realize we DO have heaven on earth.

Ewa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos! I particularly love the 3rd one!

happy trails,
Jenn

Leslie's Keith said...

Sounds Fabulous!!

Kate said...

beautiful!

that photo of the sun flare peeking out from behind the trees is amazing.

Running Rebecca said...

Blacktail is a fun area with great snow!

Olga said...

The blue is absolutely perfect!

Bill said...

The third photo down is truly amazing.