Thursday, April 03, 2008

WHINE


Since returning from Vegas I've felt really borderline sick. Not actually sick, but borderline. Monday I felt pretty terrible and had flu-like symptoms Monday night, but since Monday I've just felt tired, weak, sore (which of course is probably from my brutal weight workout Tuesday night) and blah. The OCD side of me says "must run 80 miles this week or you fail." The soft side of me says "just relax this week, get better and attack next week." The Joe L. side of me says "you will feel pretty terrible towards the end of Western States so learn to push through sistah."


The reason I'm whining to you all is that I'd be interested in hearing how you approach quasi-illness. Full on illness is easy -- when you're on the couch you're on the couch. Your decision is made for you if you can't stand up without becoming sick. But when you just feel light headed for a few minutes and it passes and then you feel good and then you feel horrible? Push through? Write yourself a "pass?"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a pass until you feel slightly better. You don't want to develope a hate relationship with your running. :) -Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I was quasi sick last week and decided not to work out - then I got full blown sick. I attribute it to not working out. Had I just worked out I would have knocked the bug out of me. :-) Joanna

Iris said...

Definitely take a pass. I usually do as Joanna suggested, (and did, last week), but look what happened. You do NOT want to get what I've been suffering with this week. Day three on antibiotics, another trip to the clinic, no sleep, no work, etc. Ignore the guilt, take some time off and feel better.

Anonymous said...

My reasoning goes like this: If whatever is ailing me is impeding my whole body, making my muscles ache, making me run slower, then I rest. If it's an isolated issue like chest congestion, then I run through it.

However, moderation is key. You know your immune system is fighting something. The perfect amount of exercise will assist the immune system's battle, too much exercise will hinder it.

I'm not sure what you should do. I'd say, if worst comes to worst, focus in on the 2 or 3 key workouts of the week and at least do those????

At any rate, feel better soon, Danni! ;)

Meghan

Danni said...

Thanks guys. I decided to take today off and I shortened Tuesday's run -- but did my planned Wednesday and Thursday runs. So, tomorrow I will try my long run and see how it goes. I will be flexible with it. I appreciate the input!

Olga said...

You are aware of "recovery weeks", as in 3 hard, 1 easy. If it doesn't fit the precise schedule, re-model it and start building hard weekes from the next one.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon! Don't listen to this Joe L. fella, what the heck does he know. ;)

JR