Thursday, June 05, 2008

Thank you all so much for your input on lights!!! I can't even believe how fortunate I am to be getting input from such seasoned and/or successful ultrarunners. I genuinely appreciate it.

So while I'm in "gear" mode, below is the prototype of my drop bag. Yeah, I'm getting way carried away -- but even if my race is a disaster I will have had a lot of fun planning. So the idea is that the bag is small but big enough for all the stuff I might have in one bag (shoes, socks, l/s shirt, gels etc.) but wide so I can easily see what's inside without digging around. For the draw string I will probably use brightly colored cord rather than the ribbon used below, but I don't have any cord right now. I also have reflective tape to use for the "night" bags. I will need to put some sort of patch on it so I can write my number or whatever identifying info they need. Or maybe something like a luggage tag (?)

I'm not even tapering yet and I'm acting like I'm in taper madness. Ha ha I'm just this way all the time.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean to say that this will be the entirety of your luggage?? Just this little drawstring pirate bag for a few days in CA? It is so beautiful! I can't believe I am going to see you in 3 weeks! :)

Olga said...

I use clear plastic bag in which pillow cases and other beddings are sold. They are different sizes (well, obviously, I saved them when I bought stuff), have a zipper to not mess up with ties (fingers swell and go numb), CLEAR! to see what I need and what it has (stuff varies from AS to AS, and I forget, obviously), you can paste/stick number ON it and it will be seen by you and volunteers (note your colorful bag - hard to focus and find the name), you can even simply write on it, and it's reusable and washable.

Anonymous said...

I put duct tape on my bags (orange, if I have it) and write the AS, name and bib number of another runner on it in Sharpie. Then I make a terrible scene at the AS. Nothing like a little high-maintenance drama at an aid station to keep the mind sharp and focused.

-Chris

seagull junker said...

very good at making them much different than anybody elses. james kerby, former top ten at states, went out and bought all the pink (barbie?) back packs for $7 each one year to be used at hardrock. they were vinyl so stuff stayed dry. and he could easily find them at the aid stations.

at states most likely somebody will retrive your bag for you.

Danni said...

Hmmm. I will figure out a way to make it quickly identifiable by bib #/name.

If I thought I had time to spare I'd be up for the drama approach. Unfortunately, when I create drama it lasts a LONG time.