Thursday, April 22, 2010

RUNNING FASHION


I am a big fan of running skirts. However, I can't say I personally would want an "elkommando" skirt. My personal favorites are from http://www.runningskirts.com/. Anyhow, I recieved my Mountain Gear catalog yesterday and "read" it before bed. I was delighted to see that there are similar offerings for men. Behold the "Mountain Hardwear Elkommando Kilt."
The description states that this kilt "frees you from the restraints of shorts and pants so you can enjoy your outdoor adventure to its fullest." (Source: REI.com). I'm curious to know whether men's adventures are restrained by shorts or pants. Chris O'Connor, who paced me at Hundred in the Hood, has worn a kilt running, but I think it was meant to be funny. I'm curious to know what men think about running in a kilt and whether they would try it -- not to be funny but to avoid the restraints of pants and shorts. Me, personally, when it's hot out a skirt is much more comfortable than shorts for a variety of reasons. I wonder if this will catch on for men though?

13 comments:

HappyTrails said...

No.Way.

Steve :-)

Anonymous said...

My husband has threatened to hike in a kilt, before. Of course, he has massive quads and a burly frame that would prevent anyone ever commenting...

Run, though? Hmmm. Somehow, I think he'd be a tad discomfitted by the "freeness" of it all. I know I would be. Good god.

He's been known to wear a skirt pretty frequently, though. When he's kayaking. Heh-heh.

sea legs girl said...

I'm not sure how men would feel, but I AM sure how I would feel about a man wearing one and that is attracted! I mean you have got to be one confident, sexy-legged man to wear something like that. Great find, Danny!

Anonymous said...

Steve lost a bet, had to wear a kilt at a 50K. I felt sorry for him, so I planned to wear one too. Word spread and for one year, anyway, Muir Beach 50K was "The Kilt Run."

Started out as a joke, but it's the most comfortable I've ever been. I love wearing it. And Steve needs exactly NO excuse to wear his. I'd wear mine more if the responses you get weren't kind of repetitious. It's worse than walking a great dane.

Danni said...

Chris, there's a dirty joke in there somewhere but I'll refrain.

Leslie said...

I want one!

brendaontheRun said...

Hilarious! Congratulations by the way on your recent 50 km - the photos look really nice (you did it in a good time).

Meghan said...

Does Leslie want one for her many quadriceps, or does she want one for hubby?!

I'm so surprised the fearless Bryon hasn't showed up to proclaim his love of wearing uninhibitive, skirt-like devices.

Anonymous said...

What do the Scots wear under their kilts?

Their socks.

The real reason why the Scottish are not known for running from the field of battle is chafing.

Danni said...

Steve, you should at least try it :p

Ti, I imagine it might feel a little too free while running. . . but what do I know?

Tracy I agree you would have to be very confident as a guy to wear a skirt out running.

Thanks Brenda! Leslie you already have plenty of running skirts.

Meghan, Bryon would look great with the kilt and his argyle socks.

Anonymous, that's hilarious. I think Ted will like that one. Poor Scottish men.

Iris said...

Steve had to wear a kilt in a wedding and the bowling that happened afterwards. I have to say the men looked pretty good in them!

I'm looking at the new Patagonia running skirt. Hopefully heading to Dillon soon to do some shopping - um, I mean, camping. :)

Emily said...

Hehe, that's funny. And it reminds me that I REALLY want one of these:

http://www.snosmart.com/skirts-down.html

Danni said...

I want to go Iris!

Em that skirt cracks me up.