Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fair Time and Goals

Yesterday I went to the Western Montana Fair in Missoula with my friend Angie.  I forgot to bring my camera and only took this picture with my cell phone.  We spent the day watching horse racing, drinking beer and eating fair food.  This is not a blog post about "how to eat healthfully at the fair."  There were some mean nachos and fried cheese curds involved.  It was an absolute blast and today, though I had originally thought about doing a hike in Glacier, is a relaxing lazy day.  Sometimes it's nice to just sit around and digest the fair food.

In other "news" (ha ha ha) below is me modeling my new socks.  I love these socks.  Coach Buf took the picture at Crossfit.  Try not to be blinded by my legs.
OK so finally, I need some race goals.  I have enjoyed a hiatus from mega-goal setting but am hungry to return.  I signed up for a 50 miler in October (Firetrails in the bay area in California) and am seriously thinking about the Susitna 100, which is in Alaska in February.  It's on snowmobile trail and I'd have to pull a sled with at least 15 pounds of gear.  My friend Jill would be a good resource since she's done all manner of winter bike racing, and my friend Andrew used to have the foot course record so probably knows a lot about it.  I'm excited thinking about. . . and that's what I need, something that gets me excited when I think about it.  It seems a little insane but that's part of the fun, right?

12 comments:

Iris said...

Go for it. I could take you to my home in ND mid winter if you need some -30 training.

Mel_Joulwan said...

1. What a sky!

2. Love the socks!

Meghan said...

You're crazyawesome to want to run across Alaska in the winter. That's why I like you. Maybe we'll see each other in October; want to visit Yosemite before/after that race?!

Karen said...

I bet you'll rock the Big Su! As an Alaskan, I've always been curious about the winter distance races (we have one here that my husband's friend organizes : White Mountains 100, btw), but I'm a little afraid of ultras. One thing I do know though... Alaska is beautiful in the winter!

I run all winter long in Fairbanks, up to -45F, if you want to experience some cold to train up, feel free to join me! :)

Danni said...

Ha Iris that would be fun though. Train trip to ND?

Thanks Melissa!

Meghan Susitna seems like your kinda thing what with the snowshoe across YNP and all that. If my hours this and next month are ok I will try to come visit you!

Karen that is even colder than I can imagine possible... you should do the 50k - it's an ultra but not as ridiculous of an ultra. In fact that's not a bad idea for me either :-)

Kate said...

sexy! also, that looks real, real heavy.

i don't think there is (or should be) such a thing as "how to eat healthy at a fair"

Olga said...

Nice legs! Firetrails is great, but Sustina, yikes, I am scared, and you are my new hero!

Danni said...

Thanks Olga, I haven't done it yet or even signed up. Just thinking :p

Kate, it's 135# which isn't really a lot to deadlift. I am not super strong but can deadlift 185#

Anonymous said...

Gotta LOVE those socks. Damn, woman.

And, yeah. You should totally come up to Fairbanks in the dead of winter and do the White Mountains 100. Maybe I'll even do more than just be the race medic this year.

Wait. No. I think I've got a sharp stick to dig out of my eye for the month of March. *grins*

Jill Homer said...

I LOVE the picture with the beer socks.

What if I was thinking about doing the Susitna 100 this year? I mean on foot. I just got to thinking about it, and it's the perfect ultra-run for a person like me - no hard surfaces to pound my knees, no big downhills, and nothing to trip over! Plus, I get to do my favorite thing, which is shlep a lot of survival gear through the Alaska wilderness during the winter! I'm going to think about it. Seriously. Susitna 100 in February and then White Mountains 100 on my bike in March. It is the Alaskan dream!

Danni said...

To you should do it!

Danni said...

Omg Jill YEAH! I'm giggling now. From excitement.