CONFESSIONS OF THE SUN-STARVED

I knew it was supposed to be a sunny day, so I planned to get up early and skin up Big Mountain before running errands for Leanne's baby shower, and going to said baby shower. The first clue that I needed some sun was that I stuck with my plan and got up BEFORE the alarm, despite having thrown back a few beers last night. I couldn't wait.

As I drove up to Big Mountain I was almost frenzied. I said out loud "please sun hold tight I'm ALMOST THERE! DON'T GO ANYWHERE!" I was so scared the sun would decide it had enough already and leave me. I drove a little faster than I should have (or needed to) up the road and almost got goosebumps as I ascended in elevation and saw nothing but sparkly snow and bluebird sky.

Elated, I marched up the mountain. I chit chatted with the sun the whole way. I wonder if it visits rarely because I talk to it like a dog. "You're such a good sunshine..." Yes I'm sure it has to do with me. The entire hike up was pure bliss and I really didn't want it to end. This is unusual because skinning up the mountain is pretty laborious. I wore my heart rate monitor for the first time doing this and my average was about 30 bpm higher than when I run normally. It took me 80 minutes to get to the top, including stops for view-drinking and picture-taking. Others hiked past me like I was standing still. I guess I'm not really good/fast despite my heart rate. It's not a race of course. Anyhow, it was just so blissfully wonderful I had an ear-to-ear grin the entire time. And then whoooosh I skiied down and tried to hold on to the high as I headed to consumption junction for shower prep. The moral of the story is that I really needed some sun. I needed bluebird sky. I felt like junkie getting a much-needed fix. I think tomorrow's going to be this way too. I love you sun.
4 comments:
Beauty beyond words.
I used to live in 4 season world where sun was a rare visitor in winter. Now I live in CA and a couple days without sun make me cranky. I can understand how you felt. On the other hand snow is something I have to commute to. I miss it often.
I SO get it!...Out for another day in the brilliant blue and white...above treeline here we come..
PS...Look for Leslie 'Many Jackets' in her blog pictures...she's in denial, but we know the truth!
Keith
Ewa there are few "perfect" places, eh? CA is pretty sweet as far as places go.
Keith, watch it. Resree is sensitive about these things. I might have to relieve her of some jackets to solve this issue :p
You crazy girl! I had no idea you'd already been up to so much BEFORE prepping for the shower. You're amazing! And thanks for such a special day on Saturday and generous gift. What an overwhelming experience to feel so loved and supported through this next big adventure. Miss our runs a ton!
Post a Comment