Tuesday, February 16, 2010

SKI TOURING IN BANFF
For the long weekend (yeah, for some reason we got President's Day off) I went to Banff to visit friends Keith and Leslie and get in some ski touring. I've been working hard this winter learning to ski for the very purpose of being able to ski tour.
On Saturday we did a 4 hour or so tour out of bounds at Sunshine. I quickly became frustrated by 1) how different powder skiing is and how I still had to make pizza turns and 2) how turning on ascents was still difficult for me. As Keith pointed out, I haven't ski toured since last year when I went with them, and this was my second time ever. . . but it seems like it will take a lifetime for me to aquire all the skills I need. I guess that's why they make life relatively long. So you can learn your skills.
The views were, of course, beautiful and it was a wonderful day. Keith and Leslie are patient and good teachers. I required extra patience due to how quickly I would get upset with myself for not magically being better.
On Sunday Leslie and Keith (along with a group of their friends) took me to Ptarmigan Valley near Lake Louise for a long long ski tour (6 hours?). This was fantastic though I had some blisters and was, again, frustrated early on. Once it became evident that the discomfort wouldn't increase, I was able to enjoy the experience for what it was -- fantastic filled with awesomeness. See all my pictures here.

3 comments:

Ewa said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures. I am green with envy.:)
I haven't done ski touring in years but hoping to do some this year.

sea legs girl said...

Danni, i just realized I had better actually comment since I've been sitting and looking at your pictures all day as I work, thinking to myself that though, life may be "relatively long", I wish it were longer so I could experience more of the places you photograph. How was that for a run-on sentence?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics; the Canadian Rockies are so special! No snow in MT? Now I don't feel so bad my sister and I had to cancel our annual trip to the Fish. Loved your GC pics, too, btw. Good luck with training!